|Products||Mobile Social News Aggregator, Mobile Search|
Taptu was a social media and technology company that built platforms, tools and applications that enabled content on touch screen mobile devices, including phones running iOS and Android. Taptu was a privately held company that was founded in Cambridge in 2007 and was funded by DFJ Esprit and Sofinnova. The company was based in Cambridge and Denver, Colorado.
Its other product was My Taptu, a social news aggregator that drew heavily on the company’s mobile search heritage but attempts to move them beyond search. According to Taptu, the app, which was available on the iPhone and Android devices, was "aimed at solving information overload," or what Taptu calls "app hopping." It presented all the information that a person "is into" in a "one- stop app" through "streams," or what CNET described as “content playlists.” My Taptu tried to separate itself in the social news space by offering ways of personalization.
Recognition and Awards
- Overall Mobile Search Company of the Year, Mobile Search Awards, September 2008
- Best Search Provider 2008, Mobile Entertainment Awards
- Commercial Category, MEX Design Competition
- Red Herring Top 100 European Tech Startups, April 2008
- Global Community Award, MobileMonday Peer Awards, February 2008
- Meffys 2010, Winner of Content Discovery and Personalisation Award
- TechCrunch Europas 2010, Highly Commended in the category of Best Mobile Start Up
- Crider, Michael (Mar 30, 2015). "Taptu News Reader Service Shutting Down, Developers Recommend Feedly As A Replacement".
- Butcher, Mike (November 9, 2010). "My Taptu arrives to take on Flipboard and Pulse in the touch aggregator stakes". TechCrunch.
- Kiss, Jemima (9 November 2010). "My Taptu app took the visual news aggregator to mobile". The Guardian (London).
- "Taptu Takes Mobile Search Award". Mobile Marketing Magazine.
- "ME Awards 2008: The winners in full". Mobile Entertainment.
- "Taptu Wins "Best Search Provider 2008" at Mobile Entertainment Awards". Taptu Blog.
- "Day One, MEX 2008 & the winners of the MEX Awards". Mobile User Experience.
- "Taptu honoured as recipient of Red Herring Top 100 Europe list". Taptu Blog.
- "MobileMonday Peer Awards Barcelona 2008". Mobile Monday Barcelona.
- "Meffys 2010". Meffys 2010.
- "TechCrunch Europas 2010". TechCrunch Europas 2010.