Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota is a conservative lobbying group dedicated to lowering taxes in Minnesota. Ted Lillie serves as the group's president. Prior to that, Darrell McKigney, Linda Runbeck, David Strom, and Phil Krinkie have served as Presidents of the Taxpayers League.
The Taxpayers League was founded in 1997 by Mike Wigley. It is primarily funded through large donations by individuals and corporation, providing weekly email updates and maintaining contact with legislators. Its representatives have made appearances on At Issue and Almanac.
The Taxpayers League has offered up a "Friend of the Taxpayers" award to legislators. Previous winners of the award include Gil Gutknecht and Bruce Anderson. In 2004, after the death of former-President Ronald Reagan, the League proposed renaming Minnesota State Highway 55 after the conservative icon; the plan was met with resistance and abandoned.
The Taxpayers League sued State of Minnesota officials after a Minnesota campaign finance law was struck down as unconstitutional in 2010. Under the revised law, the League said they would be unfairly penalized if they used their general funds to contribute to Republican candidates Paul Gazelka and Tom Emmer.
- Khoo, Michael (May 17, 2004). "Minnesota lawmakers have little to show for months of work". Minnesota Public Radio.
- "Taxpayers League of Minnesota Announces Taxpayers Rating for U.S. House of Representatives". The Chatfield News. March 29, 1999.
- Scheck, Tom (February 7, 2007). "Krinkie joins Taxpayers League". Minnesota Public Radio.
- "Mike Wigley: The Taxman". City Pages. May 28, 2008.
- Weiner, Jay (June 22, 2009). "Taxpayers League report card praises some Minnesota guv candidates, flunks others". MinnPost.
- Mike O'Rourke, FORGET REAGAN HIGHWAY, Brainerd Dispatch, September 04, 2004, Accessed May 22, 2012.
- Hammerand, Jim (July 7, 2010). "Taxpayers League and others sue state to further roll back election spending laws". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal.
- Rupar, Aaron (May 23, 2012). "Taxpayers League's poll says majority of Minneapolis opposes Vikings stadium plan". City Pages.
- Kimball, Joe (May 23, 2012). "Taxpayers League unscientific survey says Minneapolis residents oppose stadium deal". MinnPost.
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota ratings at Project Vote Smart
-  at Twin Cities Business
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|