|Alma mater||University of Maine|
|Known for||Penobscot East Resource Center|
He graduated from the University of Maine with a master's degree in biochemistry. He mapped the fish spawning grounds over time showing a loss of productive grounds. He was a Scholar-in-Residence at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine 2010-2011.
- 2005 MacArthur Fellows Program 
- 2007 University of Maine Geddes W. Simpson Distinguished Lecture 
- Alec Wilkinson, Profiles, “The Lobsterman,” The New Yorker, July 31, 2006, p. 56
- "Ted Ames", Maine Public Broadcasting Network, February 28, 2008
- "The Future of Fish", On Point, November 7, 2006