|Full name||Edward Burgin|
|Date of birth||29 April 1927|
|Place of birth||Bradfield, England|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)[a]|
|1966–19??||Glossop North End|
|1966–19??||Glossop North End (player-manager)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Edward "Ted" Burgin (born 29 April 1927) is a former professional footballer who played 551 times in the Football League as a goalkeeper for Sheffield United, Doncaster Rovers, Leeds United and Rochdale. He played twice for England B, and was a non-playing member of England's squad for the 1954 World Cup.
Burgin started his career with Alford Town. Following a trial he signed for Sheffield United in March 1949. His debut came in a Second Division game against Swansea Town on 1 September 1949, and despite being only 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m) tall,[a] his agility kept him in the side for nearly eight seasons. He was ever-present during three 3 League seasons, 1950–51, 1952–53 and 1953–54, and between 12 November 1949 and 15 March 1952 made 102 consecutive league appearances.
After 314 appearances for United, including 281 League games and 20 FA Cup ties, he moved to Doncaster Rovers for a £3,000 fee, as replacement for Harry Gregg who had joined Manchester United. After only five first-team games, he broke his collarbone. In 1958, he joined Leeds United making 58 league appearances for the West Yorkshire side. In 1960, he joined Rochdale, where he spent six seasons, making 207 league appearances and playing in the 1962 Football League Cup Final. He went on to be player-manager of Glossop North End.
During his time with Sheffield United, Burgin was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the country. He toured Australia with the Football Association's team in 1951, was a reserve for England's match with Austria in 1951, won two caps for England B in 1954 and was selected in England's squad for the 1954 World Cup, although he did not feature in any of their matches.
Sheffield United statistics
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Season||Division||League Apps||FA Cup Apps||Other Apps||Total Apps|
- "England in World Cup 1954 Squad Records". England Football Online. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Ted Burgin". DoncasterRovers.co.uk. Forward Productions. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Ted Burgin". UK A–Z Transfers. Neil Brown. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Burgin: Edward (Ted)". Leeds United F.C. History Player Profiles. T A Hill. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "League Cup heroes could be back for re-run". Rochdale Observer. 22 August 2007. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- Morrison, Neil (8 May 2009). "British "FA XI" Tours". RSSSF. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Association Football England's Team Reshaped". The Times. 27 November 1951. p. 8.
- Courtney, Barrie (21 March 2004). "England – International Results B-Team – Details". RSSSF. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- League profile at Neil Brown's site