This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Died||11 April 2015 (aged 83)|
|Alma mater||University of London|
|Known for||Historiography of Africa|
|Institutions||University of Ibadan|
Tekena Nitonye Tamuno (28 January 1932 – 11 April 2015) was a Nigerian historian and Vice-chancellor of the University of Ibadan. He was the President of the Board of Trustees of Bells University of Technology.
Education and career
Tamuno attended St Peter's School in his hometown of Okrika for primary education. Upon completion he attended Okrika Grammar School. From 1953 to 1958 he studied history at the University of Ibadan before leaving the country in 1960 to continue his studies at Birkbeck, University of London and Columbia University. In 1962 he joined the Department of History at the University of Ibadan where he remains as Professor Emeritus.
University of Ibadan timeline
- Lecturer, 1963
- Senior Lecturer, 1967
- Professor, 1971
- Head, department of History, 1972–1975
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, 1973–1975
- Vice Chancellor, 1975-1979.
- Nigeria and Elective Representation, 1923-1947.Heinemann (1966)
- The evolution of the Nigerian state;: The Southern phase, 1898-1914. Humanities Press, 1972. ISBN 0-391-00232-5
- Abebe: Portrait of a Nigerian leader. ALF Publications, 1991. ISBN 978-31191-7-6
- Herbert Macaulay, Nigerian patriot. Heinemann Educational, 1975. ISBN 0-435-94472-X
- Nigeria: Its people and its problems. ISBN 978-31069-1-0
- Nigerian universities, their students and their society: Factors of leadership, time, and circumstance. ISBN 978-31069-0-2
- The police in modern Nigeria, 1861-1965: Origins, development, and role.
- Nigeria Since Independence. Heinemann Educational Books. ISBN 978-129-481-7
- "I Won't Go to Court Over Sacked Varsity Councils". AllAfrica.com. 12 June 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "The Igbo, their Nigeria". Daily Sun. 30 November 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-15.[permanent dead link]
- Fabowale, Yinka (13 April 2015). "Tamuno, ex-UI VC, dies". The Sun. Archived from the original on 15 April 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2015.