Tell It to My Heart
|"Tell It to My Heart"|
|Single by Taylor Dayne|
|from the album Tell It to My Heart|
|B-side||"Instrumental or remix"|
|Taylor Dayne singles chronology|
1995 remix single cover
"Tell It to My Heart" is a song performed by American singer Taylor Dayne, released as her first single from her first album of the same name in late 1987. The single was Dayne's first major exposure, and she soon became known for her up-tempo, dance-oriented music.
Background and writing
The song was written by Chappell Music staff songwriter Seth Swirsky and Ernie Gold. Swirsky almost didn't deliver the song to his publisher after he and his girlfriend decided it was not good enough.
"Tell It To My Heart" reached Taylor Dayne when Dayne contacted Chappell Music and asked to be sent some demos which had been overlooked, although the song had been recorded in early 1987 by Louisa Florio for a self-titled Canadian album release. Dayne recalled feeling an immediate affinity with the song: "I thought there was something about the hook – it's a happy hook." The track was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, Long Island. The track took off so unexpectedly in the fall of 1987 that Taylor was forced to complete her debut album at Cove City Sound in six weeks. Swirsky would also write, along with Arnie Roman, Dayne's follow-up single "Prove Your Love". For almost two months, only the 12-inch record of "Tell It to My Heart" with four mixes was available for purchase, and ended up selling 900,000 copies alone.
Dayne was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal, Female for her performance on "Tell It to My Heart" in 1988. Producer Ric Wake said in a 1994 interview with Vibe magazine that Tell It To My Heart "really blew people away". Commenting on Taylor Dayne's voice he said "They thought she was, like, black or some kind of ethnic...".
Though the music video was very low budget, it displayed Taylor's aggressive and sexy style, showcasing her as the center focus, with two back-up dancers on opposite sides against a white backdrop. The video is stylistically similar to the cover of Tell It to My Heart.
"Tell It to My Heart" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 during the week of October 10, 1987, at position #92, and entered the Top 40 of the chart the week of 14 November 1987, rising to #39 from #43. Ten weeks later, during the week of January 23, 1988, the single peaked in the number seven spot. The song was present on the Hot 100 for 25 weeks.
In the UK, "Tell It To My Heart" reached #3. It was ranked as the 23rd best-selling single of 1988 in the UK.
Notable cover versions
- Kelly Llorenna's 2002 cover version was released as a single and ranked as #9 in the UK.
- Raquela's 2010 cover version was released as a single and ranked at #12 in the US.
- Filatov & Karas's 2016 cover has been certified platinum four times.
- In 2015, the song was also covered in a Cheetos commercial.
- In 2017 Swedish dansband Highlights (band) released a cover version in Sweden.
- House of Hearts Mix – 9:10
- Dub of Hearts Mix – 7:10
- Love to Infinity Subway Anthem – 10:49 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- Love to Infinity Hacienda Dub – 5:39 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- Love to Infinity Subway Anthem Radio Mix – 4:06 (UK studio reference CD)
- Tony De Vit Club Mix – 7:54 (UK CD single)
- Tony De Vit Trade Mix – 7:03 (UK CD single)
- T–Empo Radio Remix – 3:47 (UK CD single)
- T-Empo Club Mix – 8:46 (UK CD single)
- T-Empo Alt Club Mix – 8:48 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- T-Empo Blue Room Dub – 7:12 (UK 12" promo vinyl)
- MASH Club Mix – 7:50 (UK promo DMC 12" and CD)
- "Tell It to My Heart" (2008 version) – 3:41
Charts and sales
- "Tell it to my Heart".
- Bill Van Parys (April 1994), Great Dane, Vibe, p. 66
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. p. 83. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Taylor Dayne: Tell It to My Heart" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Taylor Dayne Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Taylor Dayne" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Taylor Dayne: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "Taylor Dayne Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- 1988 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- 1988 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "1988 Belgian Flanders Singles Chart" (in Dutch). ultratop.be. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "New Zealand Top Selling Singles of 1988". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- 1988 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('Tell+It+to+My+Heart')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved September 19, 2008.
- Swedish certifications Ifpi.se Archived 2012-05-21 at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- U.S. certifications riaa.com Archived 2007-06-26 at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved September 19, 2008)