Tell It to My Heart
|"Tell It to My Heart"|
|Single by Taylor Dayne|
|from the album Tell It to My Heart|
"Tell It to My Heart" is a song performed by American singer Taylor Dayne, released as her first single from her first album of the same name in 1987. The single was Dayne's first major exposure, and she soon became known for her up-tempo, dance-oriented music.
Background and writing
The song was written by Chappell Music staff songwriter Seth Swirsky and Ernie Gold. Swirsky almost did not deliver the song to his publisher after he and his girlfriend decided it was not good enough.
"Tell It To My Heart" reached Taylor Dayne when Dayne contacted Chappell Music and asked to be sent some demos which had been overlooked, although the song had been recorded in early 1987 by Louisa Florio for a self-titled Canadian album release. Dayne recalled feeling an immediate affinity with the song: "I thought there was something about the hook – it's a happy hook." The track was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, Long Island. Dayne's father loaned her $6,000 to create the demo. The track took off so unexpectedly in the fall of 1987 that Taylor was forced to complete her debut album at Cove City Sound in eight weeks.
Swirsky would also write, along with Arnie Roman, Dayne's follow-up single "Prove Your Love". For almost two months, only the 12-inch record of "Tell It to My Heart" with four mixes was available for purchase, and ended up selling 900,000 copies alone.
Dayne was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal, Female for her performance on "Tell It to My Heart" in 1988. Producer Ric Wake said in a 1994 interview with Vibe magazine that "Tell It to My Heart" "really blew people away". Commenting on Taylor Dayne's voice he said "They thought she was, like, black or some kind of ethnic...".
Though the music video was very low budget, it displayed Taylor's aggressive and sexy style, showcasing her as the center focus, with two back-up dancers ; one of them being “Cats” musical star Jeffrey Pavey , and another dancer on opposite sides against a white backdrop. The video is stylistically similar to the cover of Tell It to My Heart.
"Tell It to My Heart" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 during the week of October 10, 1987, at position number 92, and entered the Top 40 of the chart the week of 14 November 1987, rising to number 39 from number 43. Ten weeks later, during the week of January 23, 1988, the single peaked in the number seven spot. The song was present on the Hot 100 for 25 weeks.
In the UK, "Tell It To My Heart" reached number three. It was ranked as the 23rd best-selling single of 1988 in the UK.
Notable cover versions
- Kelly Llorenna's 2002 cover version was released as a single, peaking at number nine in the UK and number 31 in Ireland.
- Raquela's 2010 cover version was released as a single and ranked at number 12 in the US.
- Filatov & Karas's 2016 cover has been certified platinum four times.
- In 2015, the song was also covered in a Cheetos commercial.
- In 2017 Swedish dansband Highlights (band) released a cover version in Sweden.
- In 1993 the spanish duo Amistades Peligrosas released a spanish version called "Diselo a mi corazón"includes in the debut album
- House of Hearts Mix – 9:10
- Dub of Hearts Mix – 7:10
- Love to Infinity Subway Anthem – 10:49 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- Love to Infinity Hacienda Dub – 5:39 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- Love to Infinity Subway Anthem Radio Mix – 4:06 (UK studio reference CD)
- Tony De Vit Club Mix – 7:54 (UK CD single)
- Tony De Vit Trade Mix – 7:03 (UK CD single)
- T–Empo Radio Remix – 3:47 (UK CD single)
- T-Empo Club Mix – 8:46 (UK CD single)
- T-Empo Alt Club Mix – 8:48 (US 12" promo vinyl)
- T-Empo Blue Room Dub – 7:12 (UK 12" promo vinyl)
- MASH Club Mix – 7:50 (UK promo DMC 12" and CD)
- "Tell It to My Heart" (2008 version) – 3:41
12" maxi – Remix
2007 "Beautiful" iTunes single & Promo CD single
Charts and sales
Taylor Dayne version
Kelly Llorenna version
Taylor Dayne version
Kelly Llorenna version
- "Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne - Professor of Rock". Professor of Rock. 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "Tell it to my Heart".
- Bill Van Parys (April 1994), Great Dane, Vibe, p. 66
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "Chart Track: Week 26, 2002". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. p. 83. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Taylor Dayne: Tell It to My Heart" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Taylor Dayne Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Taylor Dayne" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Taylor Dayne – Tell It to My Heart". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Taylor Dayne: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "Taylor Dayne Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- "Top 10 Dance Singles, Week Ending 4 July 2002". GfK Chart-Track. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- 1988 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- 1988 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "1988 Belgian Flanders Singles Chart" (in Dutch). ultratop.be. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "New Zealand Top Selling Singles of 1988". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- 1988 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved September 19, 2008)
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2002" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Taylor Dayne; 'Tell It To My Heart')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved September 19, 2008.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved September 19, 2008.
- "British single certifications – Taylor Dayne – Tell It To My Heart". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 26, 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Tell It To My Heart in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Taylor Dayne – Tell It To My Heart". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 19, 2008. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.