Template talk:Schools in Cumbria
|WikiProject Schools||(Rated Template-class)|
With all due respect to Capslock99, this template isn't a list of all schools in Cumbria, it's a navigation box, for navigating around Wikipedia articles. As agreed at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Schools, only WP:Notable schools should be included in these boxes. A phalanx of primary and infant schools (unlikely to be notable) have had their names set up as redirects to Cumbria, but including them in the navigation box and taking people to the Cumbria article doesn't achieve anything useful, and it makes the navigation box frustrating to use. There are hundreds more primary and infant schools in Cumbria, and if this approach made sense then its logic seems to be that all of them should be added in this way. Xn4 10:08, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- The same could be said about some Secondary's... but with respect to you... Regardless of if you "Created" the template... many others have added to it, just because some has suggest something you don't like, doesn't mean you should go in and undo my undo, and then I undo, you undo of my undo and so as...
- I agree taking users to Cumbria there wouldn't be useful maybe a town specific would be more useful.. this could had been added to the discussion of this Topic rather then you simply undoing something you don't like.
- About the Primary's being un-notable, the same can be said about Secondary's... Capslock99 (talk) 10:58, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- It can certainly be said, but what matters is the community's view, not yours or mine, and the key question is really WP:Notability. The community view is that primary schools are unlikely to be notable, infant schools very unlikely. I can't help wondering, did you intend to add all the hundreds of primary and infant schools in Cumbria to the template? If not, the only basis for selecting some and leaving out others would be notability, but (as I understand you) you seem to want the template to be a non-selective list of Cumbria schools, which it isn't. Xn4 11:08, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
I very much doubt that Secondary's are any more Notable either in that case, as the Primaries are feed to Secondary's… The Secondary’s are on wiki due to there importance which is a concept of Wikipedia:Notability hence the Primaries have importance.
You are correct in that, I don’t intended to make a page for every primary as there is no information in most case’s with regards to the local education. The Barrow-in-Furness page is the only wiki page in Cumbria Local Authorities that holds an education topic to redirect to. If there are any more please update the School in Cumbria Template with the correct information. Capslock99 (talk) 11:39, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- I think I see. But if your interest is only in Barrow-in-Furness and its schools, then perhaps you could create a new template for Barrow-in-Furness alone? It really wouldn't make sense for a county-wide template to treat Barrow differently from the rest of Cumbria. Xn4 11:44, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, of course. It isn't hard to see how to use the basic format, and there are other models, such as Template:Banbury Schools and Template:Wiltshire. If you want a more general template (for all aspects of Barrow-in-Furness, not just for its schools) the category to put it in would be Category:English navigational boxes. Xn4 17:32, 11 April 2008 (UTC)