Terry B. Ball
As a young man, from 1974 to 1976 Ball served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in the Japan Kobe Mission. After returning to Utah, he taught Japanese in the Missionary Training Center in Provo until 1979. From 1979 to 1992 he was a Seminary and Institute of Religion teacher and administrator for the Church Educational System in Fort Thomas, Arizona, Mountain Home, Idaho, and at BYU.
In the LDS Church, Ball has served in numerous callings, including as a bishop twice. In 2009 he became president of the BYU 20th Stake. Ball is married to the former DeAnna Hill and they have six children.
After receiving his doctorate, Ball became a Professor of Ancient Scripture at BYU in 1992. In 2006 he became the Dean of Religious Education. Ball has focused his religious research and publication on the prophet Isaiah and has continued to conduct research in his doctoral field of archaeobotany. He has also taught at BYU's Jerusalem Center.
Ball has written several papers related to agriculture and archeobotany. Ball wrote "Agriculture in Lehi's World: Some Textual, Historical, Archaeological, and Botanical Insights" with Wilford M. Hess which was included in the book Glimpses of Lehi's Jerusalem. Ball has applied botanical principles to the understanding of Isaiah.
Ball has written articles for The Journal of Archaeological Science.
- "New stake presidents". Church News. April 18, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "Phytolith morphometrics : the use of image analysis for morphologic and...". Copyright Catalog (1978 to present). United States Copyright Office. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "Dean's Office". Religious Education. Brigham Young University. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "BYU names new dean", Church News, July 20, 2013
- "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). BYU New Testament - Faculty Bios. Brigham Young University. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- Ball, Terry B. (1992), "Book of Mormon: Second Book of Nephi", in Ludlow, Daniel H, Encyclopedia of Mormonism, New York: Macmillan Publishing, pp. 146–147, ISBN 0-02-879602-0, OCLC 24502140
- Botanical Electronic News - BEN #282
- Agriculture in Lehi's World: Some Textual, Historical, Archaeological, and Botanical Insights
- BYU NewsNet - Dean Compares Circumstances to Farming
- Andrea M. Berlin : Center for Jewish Studies : University of Minnesota