The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Terry Wentz in 2008
June 4, 1947|
|Died||May 30, 2010
Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania, USA
|Alma mater||Penn State University|
|Fields||Progressive Management, Environmental Education|
|Institutions||Pennsylvania State Parks, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Audubon Society, Lower Trail|
Terry Wentz was a Pennsylvania State Parks Manager who served with the state for 34 years at four locations throughout South Central, Pennsylvania including Canoe Creek State Park, Trough Creek State Park, and Warriors Path State Park. He is most noted for his work in progressive management and environmental education. He founded Waxwing Associates, an Eco-tourism company that also provided wildlife management consulting and grant writing services. Terry Wentz is noted for his work with the largest little brown bat colony east of the Mississippi River, which is located in an abandoned church at Canoe Creek State Park. His conservation efforts have also resulted in further protections for the endangered Indiana Bats which reside in Canoe Creek State Park in an abandoned mine. Terry Wentz is noted as one of the founding members of Rails To Trails of Central Pennsylvania. His efforts in acquiring grants for land helped to establish the Lower Trail. He also served time in Vietnam as a Dog Handler for the United States Army assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division. Terry Wentz was also a Past President of the Juniata Valley Audubon Society, and served on the Juniata Valley Audubon Board for over a decade. He helped develop a benefit horse ride trail for Dreams Go On, and organization that provides therapeutic horseback riding sessions to adults and children who are physically challenged, receive mental health, behavioral health or family therapy services.
On October 2, 2010, the Canoe Creek Environmental Center, at Canoe Creek State Park was named after Terry Wentz. On May 15, 2011, the first ever Annual Terry Wentz Memorial Hike will be held at Canoe Creek State Park.
The Bureau of State Parks honored Wentz's longstanding work with bluebirds with a posthumous Cavity Nesting Monitor of the Year award.
Terry also won the American Trails, Trail Worker of the Year, Award in November 2010. The honor was awarded posthumously to his wife, Debbie.
- Wentz, Daniel P. "Terry L. Wentz." AltoonaMirror.com - Altoona, PA | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror. Altoona Mirror, 1 June 2010. Web. 08 August 2010. <http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/530392.html>.
- Bubb, Frederick. "PA News." The PA Bugle. Winter 2009. Web. 08 August 2010. <http://www.arscse.org/qNewsPA.htm>.
- Wentz, Daniel P. "Terry Wentz." Waxwing Associates - Pennsylvania Tourism At It's Best. Dan Wentz, 8 October 2008. Web. 08 August 2010. <"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-25. Retrieved 2010-08-08.>.
- Simon, Dan. "Flight of the Bat." GreenWorks.tv. 11 October 2002. Web. 08 August 2010. <"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2010-08-08.>.
- Kotala, Stan. "Moshannon Group News — Sierra Club." Sierra Club Pennsylvania Chapter. Web. 06 September 2010. <http://pennsylvania.sierraclub.org/moshannon/outings.html>.
- "Dreams Go On Homepage." Welcome to Dreams Go On. Web. 08 August 2010. <http://www.dreamsgoon.com/>.
- "Lehman Engineers Trail Ride 2009 to Benefit Dreams Go On 2009." Lehman Engineers Trail Ride 2009 to Benefit Dreams Go On 2009. Web. 08 August 2010. <"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2010-08-08.>
- Clegg, Amanda "Local man’s commitment honored" AltoonaMirror.com - Altoona, PA | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror. Altoona Mirror, 2 October 2010. Web. 2 October 2010. <http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/542880.html>.
- "Terry Wentz National Trails Award Winner 2010." American Trails - Your National Resource for Trails and Greenways. Web. 29 November 2010. <http://www.americantrails.org/awards/NTS10awards/PA-Terry-Wentz.html>.
- Altoona Mirror Obituary
- Terry Wentz Biography on Waxwing Associates
- Flight Of The Bat - Green Works Radio
- Rails To Trails - Board of Directors Information
- Centre Daily Times Obituary - Terry Wentz
- Altoona Mirror - For the Birds
- The Alleghenies Birding Tips
- Lehman Engineers Trail Ride 2009 to Benefit Dreams Go On 2009
- The Pittsburgh Press - Conservation Day Scheduled
- Altoona Mirror - Local man's commitment honored
- Wentz, Founding Member of Rails to Trails, Honored
- Late park manager to be honored at state park building dedication