September 28, 1984 |
|April 22, 2012, for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.79|
Thad G. Weber (born September 28, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Detroit Tigers, San Diego Padres and Toronto Blue Jays and in the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) for the NC Dinos.
On August 22, 2009, Weber tossed the Erie SeaWolves' first no-hitter in almost 14 years. Weber faced two batters over the minimum, struck out a career-high 10, and threw only 88 pitches en route to the historic achievement.
Weber was called up by the Detroit Tigers on April 21, 2012, and made his major league debut the next day against the Texas Rangers. The Rangers won 3-2 in 11 innings. He was optioned back to the minor leagues by Detroit on April 26, 2012, after making two appearances. In August 2012, Weber was signed by the San Diego Padres.
The Padres designated Weber for assignment on May 17, 2013. On May 19, the Toronto Blue Jays claimed Weber off waivers, and optioned him to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. Weber was recalled by the Blue Jays on May 25. Weber was optioned back to the Buffalo Bisons by the Blue Jays on May 28. He was recalled on June 9, and then returned to Buffalo after that day's game. On August 13, Weber was recalled again by the Blue Jays to replace Josh Johnson, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Weber was optioned back to Buffalo on August 19, but was expected to be activated as the 26th player for the doubleheader against the New York Yankees on August 20.
Thad Weber has a degree in Biological Sciences, graduating on May 10, 2008. He missed the UL-Lafayette series, as his wife Megan gave birth to their daughter, Babe, in 2008. He has a son, Gehrig born in 2010.
- Carpenter, Steve. "Former Hutch Juco Player Throws No-Hitter". KSAL News. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Torenli, John. "Weber makes SeaWolves' history". MiLB.com.
- Beck, Jason. "Tigers option Schlereth, call up Weber". MLB.com. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers - Recap - April 22, 2012 ESPN
- Fenech, Anthony. "Pitching change: Tigers call up Luke Putkonen, demote Thad Weber". Freep. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- Blontz, Blaine (August 23, 2012). "Padres Claim Thad Weber from Tigers". Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment". May 17, 2013. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Blue Jays claim right-hander Thad Weber off waivers from San Diego Padres". Canadian Press. May 19, 2013. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Blue Jays recall Thad Weber". May 25, 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor; Peaslee, Evan (May 28, 2013). "Blue Jays designate Ortiz, option Weber". MLB.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Josh Johnson to DL". KFFL.com. August 13, 2013. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Short, D.J. (December 11, 2013). "Thad Weber is headed to Korea". Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- McCosky, Chris (January 20, 2015). "Veteran Wilson highlights Tigers' non-roster invitees". The Detroit News. Retrieved January 20, 2015.