Thank You for This Moment
|4 September 2014|
Merci pour ce moment (Thank you for this moment) is a 2014 best-selling political memoir authored by Valérie Trierweiler, a French journalist and the former partner of French President François Hollande.
In this political memoir, French journalist Valérie Trierweiler recounts the eighteen months she spent as the romantic partner of French President François Hollande in 2013-2014. The book mixes the political and the personal.
Trierweiler writes that President Hollande "does not like the poor" and calls them "toothless." She also writes about finding out about his affair with French actress Julie Gayet from the press. She goes on to suggest he kept her on "astronomical" amounts of tranquilizers in hospital shortly after they broke up to make sure she would not make a scene.
In France, the book became a bestseller, selling 200,000 copies during the first week. However, many bookshops refused to sell it, arguing they did not want to be an "outlet for Ms Trierweiler's dirty laundry."
In The Guardian, Kim Willsher criticised Trierweiler for publishing the book, asking, "Why would an intelligent, sophisticated woman, and a former political journalist to boot, write a book that causes random harm to so many, including the author, and does such a great disservice to women?"
The English version was translated by Clémence Sebag. It was scheduled to be released in the United States. The book has also been translated into Italian, Spanish, Albanian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Vietnamese and Persian.
- Trierweiler publie un livre où se mêlent l'intime et la politique, Le Monde, 03 September 2014
- Andrew Marszal David Chazan, French booksellers refuse to stock Valerie Trierweiler's 'dirty laundry' memoirs, The Daily Telegraph, 6 September 2014
- Ella Alexander, Valerie Trierweiler claims she was drugged with 'astronomical doses of tranquillisers' to prevent her from Francois Hollande affair scandal, The Independent, 5 September 2014
- Catherine Schwaab, Valérie Trierweiler, "Ma vie avec François", Paris Match, 03 September 2014
- AFP, Valérie Trierweiler publie un livre sur sa vie à l'Elysée, Liberation, 02 September 2014
- Kim Willsher, Valérie Trierweiler’s book is captivating France – for all the wrong reasons, The Guardian, 6 September 2014
- Hadley Freeman, Thank You for This Moment by Valérie Trierweiler review – a triumph of self-obsessed raving, The Guardian, 10 December 2014
- Delphine Perez, Valérie Trierweiler : son livre sortira aux Etats-Unis, Le Parisien, 05 September 2014
- "Iranian copies of the Persian translated copy of 'Thank you for this..." Getty Images (in German). Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- 2 News, Bombshell memoirs of French Prez's ex-girlfriend to be released in English