Letter of thanks
A letter of thanks or thank-you letter is a letter that is used when one person/party wishes to express appreciation to another. Personal thank-you letters are sometimes hand-written in cases in which the addressee is a friend, acquaintance or relative. Thank-you letters are also sometimes referred to as letters of gratitude. These types of thank-you letters are usually written as formal business letters.
Some psychological research indicates that expressing gratitude by writing such letters can have emotional benefits, but this does not apply to all circumstances. News media have covered the tradition of handwritten letters of thanks from a cultural perspective, suggesting in particular that the extra effort represented by handwriting (as opposed to text messaging, for example) makes these letters more emotionally significant for sender and recipient alike.
Good thank you letters can benefit from using a recognized format.
- Toepfer, Steven M.; Cichy, Kelly; Peters, Patti (2011-04-07). "Letters of Gratitude: Further Evidence for Author Benefits". Journal of Happiness Studies. 13 (1): 187–201. doi:10.1007/s10902-011-9257-7. ISSN 1389-4978.
- Sansone, Randy A.; Sansone, Lori A. (November 2010). "Gratitude and Well Being". Psychiatry (Edgmont). 7 (11): 18–22. ISSN 1550-5952. PMC 3010965. PMID 21191529.
- Trebay, Guy (4 April 2014), "The Found Art of Thank-You Notes", The New York Times
- "Perfect Thank You Notes: Heartfelt And Handwritten". NPR. 2010-12-22. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Field, Jeanne (September 8, 2016). "How to write a thank-you note How to write a thank-you note". Hallmark Cards. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Clark, Hewitt B.; Northrop, James T.; Barkshire, Charles T. (1988). "The Effects of Contingent Thank-You Notes on Case Managers' Visiting Residential Clients". Education and Treatment of Children. 11 (1): 45–51. JSTOR 42899049.
- Kralik, John (January 27, 2011). 365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life. Penguin, Random House Australia.