The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Am. J. Clin. Nutr.|
|Edited by||Dennis M. Bier|
American Society for Nutrition (United States)
The journal was established in 1952 as the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, edited by S.O. Waife and published by the Nutrition Press. It was continued in series under the present title from 1954. It is now published by the American Society for Nutrition. As of June 2009[update], the journal's editor-in-chief is Dennis M. Bier (Baylor College of Medicine). Since 1961, it has been the official journal of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition.
In issue 3 the journal's first guest editorial was written by the cardiologist William Dock, entitled "The reluctance of physicians to admit that chronic disease may be due to faulty diet". In it, he predicted "Since two centuries of practical and experimental study have failed to convince some physicians that diets of salt pork, beans, and flour may be inadequate for maintaining health, it probably will take a long time to convince the profession that diets rich in eggs, butter, and cream cause the disease which now kills nearly one out of every three physicians."
A poll conducted in 2009 by the Biomedical and Life Sciences Division of the Special Libraries Association identified the journal as among the "100 most influential journals ... over the last 100 years" in the fields of biology and medicine.
Marion Nestle has voiced concerns about what she sees as a "blatant" conflict of interest by the AJCN board that has resulted in "the results of sponsored studies almost invariably benefit[ing] the sponsor." Nestle states that of the twelve-member editorial board "the majority—7 of the 12—list major corporate affiliations. The list of food companies for which they consult or advise [...] includes Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, The Sugar Association, The National Restaurant Association, ConAgra, McDonald’s, Kellogg, Mars, and many others."
- "About The American Society for Nutrition and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Issue 1, front matter
- Catalog entry at the National Library of Medicine.
- "Top 100 Journals in Biology and Medicine". SLA Biomedical and Life Sciences Division. April 2009. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Offices, Editors, and Staff". Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Dock W. Editorial J Clin Nutr 1(3):247-9
- Nestle, Marion (23 June 2015). "The food industry's undue influence on the American Society for Nutrition". Marion Nestle. Retrieved 4 October 2015.