The Animator's Survival Kit
|Cover artist||Richard Williams|
|Published||2001 (Faber and Faber)|
The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators (ISBN 0-5712-0228-4) is an instructional book by Academy Award-winning animator and director Richard Williams. The book includes techniques, advice, tips, tricks, and general information on the history of animation.
Animation examples from the book combined with footage from Richard Williams' masterclasses have been put into a 16-volume DVD box set titled The Animator's Survival Kit – Animated. The logo from the book cover was completely animated in the traditional style, taking Williams and his animators 9 months to complete. Williams also included some early drafts of his own work from previous projects.
The book met with universal acclaim. Chris Wedge, the director of Epic and the Oscar-nominated Ice Age, wrote about the book: "What I came out with was a complete re-structuring of animation, how I saw animation, how I analysed motion. People the first night sat down at their work stations and were running some of Richard's examples ... and at lunchtime you could see the influence. It was a revelation." It was also turned into an iPad app in 2013.
- Google Books
- "The Animator's Survival Kit - Animated". Foyles. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- Book Review: Expanding 'The Animator's Survival Kit'|Animation World Network
- Reviews on book's official website
- "The Animator's Survival Kit" iPad: An Animation Teacher's Review|Cartoon Brew
- FIRST LOOK: The Animator's Survivor Kit app by Richard Williams|IndieWire