The Brain with David Eagleman
|The Brain with David Eagleman|
|Created by||David Eagleman|
|Written by||David Eagleman|
|Directed by||Julian Jones, Toby Trackman, Nick Stacey, Catherine Gale, Johanna Woolford Gibbon, Dan Clifton, Glenn Barden, |
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||56 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Blink Films|
|Original network||PBS (United States), BBC (United Kingdom), SBS (Australia)|
1080i (16:9 HDTV)
Dolby Digital 5.1
|Original release||October 2015 –|
The Brain with David Eagleman is a PBS documentary series created and presented by neuroscientist Dr. David Eagleman. Eagleman explores the wonders of the human brain with the goal of revealing why we feel and think the things we do. The series debuted on PBS in 2015, followed by airings on the BBC in the United Kingdom and the SBS in Australia. As of early 2016 it has been nominated for an Emmy Award.
The series consists of six 1-hour episodes:
|01||What Is Reality?|
|02||What Makes Me Me?|
|03||Who's in Control?|
|04||How Do I Decide?|
|05||Why Do I Need You?|
|06||Who Will We Be?|
Eagleman's book to accompany the series, The Brain: The Story of You, was co-published by Pantheon Books (US) and Canongate Books (UK).
The series and accompanying book garnered wide critical acclaim. The New York Times listed it as one of the best television shows of 2015. Forbes magazine wrote that "in the fine tradition of Carl Sagan, Eagleman shows that science is captivating without hyped embellishment, and, if you pay attention, you'll find yourself immersed in it". The scientific journal Nature described the series as "an ideal introduction to how biology generates the mind... structured around crucial and wide-ranging questions, saturated with personal and social relevance. And Eagleman's answers are consistently clear, engaging and thought-provoking." Actor Hugh Laurie described the series as one of the influences in his current television series, Chance; Laurie also tweeted his advice about the show: "I recommend a facial truss, to prevent your chin hitting the floor hard and often." Texas Monthly Magazine suggested that Eagleman is "the Carl Sagan of neuroscience"
- "David Eagleman's New TV Show The Brain Gets Inside Your Head". Newsweek. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "David Eagleman Wants You to Meet Your Brain". New York Magazine. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Gareth Cook (Oct 6, 2015). "Exploring the Mysteries of the Brain - David Eagleman answers questions about his major PBS series". Scientific American.
- "The Brain with David Eagleman". Public Broadcasting Service.
- "The Brain with David Eagleman". TV Guide.
- The Brain: The Story of You
- "The Best TV Shows of 2015". New York Times. Dec 7, 2015. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- David DiSalvo (Oct 13, 2015). "The Cosmos Inside Your Head: Neuroscientist David Eagleman Tells The Story Of The Brain On PBS". Forbes Magazine.
- Daniel Bor (Oct 1, 2015). "Neuroscience: The mechanics of mind". Nature. 526 (7571): 41–42. doi:10.1038/526041a.
- Ned Zeman (Mar 31, 2016). "Face to Face With Hugh Laurie". Wall Street Journal.
- Michael Hardy (October 14, 2015). "Is David Eagleman Neuroscience's Carl Sagan?". Texas Monthly.