The Declining Winter
|The Declining Winter|
|Genres||Post-rock, Indie, slowcore, IDM, shoegaze, electronic|
Sound in Silence
|Past members||Stuart Wilson
Gareth S. Brown
The Declining Winter are a British band based in Yorkshire, UK, led by Richard Adams, the co-founder of the Domino Records group Hood. The original band featured members of Fieldhead, Brave Timbers, Quack Quack and Gareth S. Brown.
They released their debut single "The Future Sound of Hip Hop Parts 1 & 2" on Misplaced Music in November 2007. The record was unique as it is made of mostly recycled materials reflecting the band's keen interest in the environment. This release was promptly followed up by a CD only remix project on Moteer, featuring mixes by Bracken, Epic 45, and The Boats amongst others; and a their debut album Goodbye Minnesota released by Ireland's Rusted Rail imprint in May 2008. In December 2008 they released a limited edition Remixes CD which came housed in recycled sleeves wrapped in Christmas paper. In May 2009 they released a mini album Haunt the Upper Hallways on Home Assembly Music. The same label also released an unlikely attempt at a song for the 2010 World Cup and later that year the four track cdr Scenes from the Back Bedroom Window was released on Secret Furry Hole  in November 2010.
After a long period of silence, the band (now consisting solely of Richard Adams with assorted guests) released a 10" Fragment 5 on French label Monopsone in 2013 followed by Lost Songs cassette on Sanity Muffin in 2014. The latter album consists of unfinished songs rescued by Adams from his crashed hard drive and was later issued as a small run of cdr's. A brand new studio album Home For Lost Souls was released in March 2015 on Home Assembly Music. and came with a digital-only mini-album The Waning Mill Chronicles.
The album was later re-pressed in August 2015 on green vinyl with a limited CD edition containing two bonus tracks and in August 2015 the band played a rare series of UK dates with a new line up consisting of Richard Adams (vocals, guitar), Paul Elam (guitar), Mick Harrison (bass) and Chris Lanigan (drums).
- Goodbye Minnesota (2008)
- Haunt the Upper Hallways (2009)
- Fragment 5 (2013)
- Lost Songs (2014)
- Home For Lost Souls (2015)
- The Leaves in the Lane (2015) split album with Isnaj Dui
- Endless Scenery (2015)
- The Future Sound of Hip Hop Parts 1 & 2 (2007)
- Moteer Remixes (2007)
- Remixes (2008)
- The Official World Cup Theme (2010)
- Scenes from The Back Bedroom Window (2010)
- Interview with Richard Adams and brother/fellow Hood co-founder Chris Adams in XLR8R magazine, April 2008 - http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2008/03/hood-brothers-gonna-work-it-out
- Misplaced Music :: Welcome!
- MySpace.com - The Declining Winter - UK - Indie / Acoustique / Electronique - www.myspace.com/thedecliningwinter
- you found moteer::
- Rusted Rail - The Declining Winter
- Home Assembly Music
- Secret Furry Hole
- Home Assembly Music