Peter V. Brett
|Peter V. Brett|
Brett at the Brooklyn Book Festival
February 8, 1973 |
New Rochelle, New York
|Education||BA, English Literature, Art History|
Peter V. Brett (born February 8, 1973) is an American fantasy novelist. He is the author of the Demon Cycle, whose first volume was published in the UK by HarperCollins's Voyager imprint in 2008 as The Painted Man and in the US by Del Rey Books as The Warded Man.
Peter Brett studied English Literature and Art History at the University at Buffalo, graduating in 1995, after which he spent more than ten years working in the pharmaceutical publication field before writing full-time. He developed an interest in fantasy from an early age.
The novel takes place on a formerly advanced civilization world which has now been reduced to a dark age by the attacks of demons known as 'corelings'. These are powerful beings with magical abilities and differing elemental natures, and each night they emerge from the planet's core to feed on humans, who must take care to be indoors before dark. Against this backdrop the three main characters Arlen, Leesha, and Rojer, pass into maturity and begin individual quests to bring an end to the terror. The book and its sequels have been translated into twenty three languages, including German, French, Greek, Japanese, Russian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Taiwanese, Dutch, Korean, Estonian, Turkish, Italian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, Brazilian, Danish, and Chinese.
In The Desert Spear two men are claimed by their own followers to be humanity's prophesied Deliverer. One is Arlen Bales, formerly of a small hamlet who, after many hard lessons, has become the Warded Man (so called because he has covered himself in demon-warding runes). Another contender is a desert warrior, a former friend and betrayer of Arlen, who carries a mystical spear (stolen from Arlen) and heads a vast army intent on a holy war against the demons and anyone else who stands in the way.
Brett's novellas include the 2010 book The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, and the 2011 book Brayan's Gold, and the 2014 book Messenger's Legacy.
- Novel Quintet:
- Allen, Nick (April 18, 2010). "Commuter who wrote fantasy novel on his phone on verge of multi-million dollar movie deal". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "Author's Blog - Peephole In My Skull: Desert Spear Update, II". May 2, 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "The Painted Man by Peter V Brett". Fantasy Book Review. 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- "The Daylight War: Peter V. Brett (Hardcover)". Amazon.com.
- Brett, Peter V. "Daylight War Release Dates and The Demon Cycle". Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Barren by Peter V Brett". Fantastic Fiction. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter V. Brett.|
- Official website
- Video interview on YouTube
- Brett at Fantasy Literature
- Peter V. Brett at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database