This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Dogbones performing in 2010
|Associated acts||Queenadreena, Daisy Chainsaw, Vapid Dolly, Dizzy Q Viper, Selfish Cunt, Wendykurk, Jesus Got His Gun, Mediæval Bæbes, Starsha Lee|
|Members||Nomi Leonard - vocals and guitar|
Johnny Orion - guitar, vocals and bass
Michael Vakalis - bass guitar
Vince Johnson - drums
|Past members||Joao Pires|
Angus Duprey - all 2nd drummers
The Dogbones are an alternative rock band that were formed in London, in late 2007. All of the four founding musicians are former members of Daisy Chainsaw and Queenadreena, notable bands of the London alternative scene.
The Dogbones were founded by Crispin Gray (a.k.a. Johnny Orion), a former guitarist of Daisy Chainsaw and Queenadreena who at the end of 2007 gathered other members of those two bands. Nomi Leonard, who played on bass in Queenadreena, took vocals and guitar along with Crispin Gray, while Michael Vakalis was on bass and Vince Johnson on drums.
The Dogbones usually do not show their former affiliations, however, and they used numericals on the sleeves of their releases for identifying the musicians. Crispin Gray always uses his middle names alias Johnny Orion in relation to The Dogbones.
The band were well known for using two drummers set in their live shows, with Vince Johnson being the primary drummer. Joao Pires (ex Selfish Cunt), the original second drummer in The Dogbones, was replaced circa June 2011 by Matt Banham. Angus Duprey (GOiD) replaced Matt in late February/early March 2013. The principal drummer Vince Johnson took over sole drumming duties circa February 2014.
Their self-titled debut album was released in October 2010 in the UK through the band's own label Buzz Saw and distributed by Cadiz Music. In The Independent, Simon Price described the sound as "a seductively scuzzy, drum-heavy mix of ramshackle voodoo rock, chaotic glam-punk and shouty grrl music".
The album was released earlier in Japan in March 2010 through 51 records with different artwork and a demo bonus track, 'Stitch'. It also features the English-language version of 'Ley Line' (the 'Aneurin' version on the UK release is in Welsh).
In support of the album The Dogbones released two vinyl singles. The first one, "Mae Du Ffrindiau I Gyd (Am Du Ladd di)" (B side: "Gwlad Ar Fy'n Nghefn"), a 7" split single, is released in August 2010 jointly by The Dogbones and Klaus Kinski label and available through Ankst Music, distributed by Shellshock. The second one, "I want Alcohol" (B side: "Monkey"), again a 7" vinyl single, is released in November 2010, through Custom House Records.
The band have published initially three music videos along with their debut album: Hey Chihuahua (2012), The Whole World is Weird (2011) and All Your Friends (Are Going to Kill You) (2011). Another two videos were released with tracks from their still unpublished second album. Everybody Thinks You're Strange (2013) was animated entirely by Crispin Gray and “Got To Get Out of Here” (2014) features visual extracts from various Georges Méliès films: The Merry Frolics of Satan (1906), Le Voyage dans la Lune (1902), and La Royaume des fées (1903). As of 2015, The Dogbones have been on a mysterious hiatus, and both Gray and Vakalis are currently active in the indie rock band Starsha Lee.
- Gwlad ar Fy Nghefn/Mae Dy Ffrindiau i Gyd (Am Dy Ladd Di), August 2010, (Ankst Music, Shellshock Records)
7" split single with Klaus Kinski
- I want Alcohol, November 2010, (Custom House Records)
- All Your Friends (Are Going to Kill You) (2011)
- The Whole World is Weird (2011)
- Hey Chihuahua (2012),
- Everybody Thinks You're Strange (2013)
The band's line-up at present is:
- Johnny Orion – Vocals and Guitar (Daisy Chainsaw, Vapid Dolly, Dizzy Q Viper, Queenadreena)
- Nomi Leonard – Vocals and Guitar (Wendykurk, Queenadreena)
- Michael Vakalis – Bass (briefly in Queenadreena, Jesus Got His Gun)
- Vince Johnson – Drums (Daisy Chainsaw, Dizzy Q Viper, Mediæval Bæbes)
- Joao Pires - second drummer (Selfish Cunt)
- Angus Duprey - second drummer (GOiD)
- Matt Banham - second drummer
- Price, Simon (14 November 2010). "Album: The Dogbones, The Dogbones (Buzzsaw Records)". The Independent. London. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Johnson, Michael. "the whole world is weird. not just... The Dogbones". Nemesis To Go. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Dogbones Interview (Originally published in God Is In The TV)". bennettshambles.blogspot.com. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "David Ryder Prangley And The Witches, This Is Not A Dead Transmission, The Dogbones, Lilies on Mars at Purple Turtle , London". Nemesis To Go. 14 January 2008. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "THE DOGBONES Live Dates, new video, and forthcoming album/ DAISY CHAINSAW 'Eleventeen' Special New Edition release". Firebrand Management. August 2014. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Official website: www.thedogbones.com
- The Dogbones' channel on YouTube
- The Dogbones on Twitter
- The Dogbones on Facebook
Photos and reviews: