The Dogs (US punk band)
|Past members||Ron Wood|
Originally formed by guitarist/vocalist Loren Molinare and bassist Mary Kay with drummer Ron Wood, and based in Lansing, The Dogs played with the rock and proto-punk bands of the time including MC5, Amboy Dukes and KISS. The band relocated to Detroit in 1973, and then to New York City in 1974 where they played with other bands of the glam and pre-punk scenes such as The Dictators, The Stilettos (pre-Blondie) and Television.
The band moved again to the West Coast in 1976, releasing their debut 7” "John Rock" on California’s Dynamic Recording label, and playing with hard rock bands such as AC/DC and Van Halen as well as new wave groups like The Motels and Ramones. Moving to the UK in 1978, The Dogs toured Britain and Ireland, in support of second 7” Slash Your Face, self-released on the band’s own Detroit Records imprint that year.
The band returned to the US in 1980 but went on hiatus in 1981 with the departure of their drummer; they reformed with new drummer Tony Matteucci in 1983, but went on hiatus again in 1989 when Molinaire joined Little Caesar.
Interest in the band revived following the inclusion of their songs on the Killed By Death compilation series, with their records subsequently becoming collectors’ items. Slash Your Face was reissued and the Fed Up compilation released on Bacchus Archives in 2001. The band reformed and new material followed on Dionysus Records in 2003 in the form of debut album proper Suburban Nightmare.
The Dogs toured the Far East in 2007 and 2013 in support of a series of releases on Japanese label Future Now Records, beginning with double CD tribute Doggy Style featuring covers of Dogs tracks by local groups and notable garage punks such as The Bellrays as well as unreleased Dogs material.
- ”John Rock” 7”, 1976, Dynamic Recording
- Slash Your Face EP 7”, 1978, Detroit Records (reissued Bacchus Archives, 2001; Last Laugh 2017]
- ”Tough Enough” 7”, 1998, Brain Transplant
- ”Class of 1970” 7”, 2001, Dionysus
- Ain’t Going Nowhere EP 7”, 2016, Smelvis Records
- Suburban Nightmare LP/CD, 2003 – Dionysus
- Hypersensitive CD, 2012
- Fed Up LP/CD, 2000 Bacchus Archives LP [LP reissue: Dionysus Records, 2011; cassette issue: Burger Records, 2015]
- Doggy Licks CD/DVD [live recordings]
- Doggy Style 2CD, 2007 [V/A inc. The Dogs tracks]
- "You No Longer Have to Pay An Ungodly Sum for the Dogs' 1978 Proto-Punk Record". Noisey.
- "Loren Molinare". punkglobe.com.
- "Legendary Detroit punk band in town for film fest".
- "THE DOGS: A FREIGHT TRAIN COMING THROUGH THE CENTER OF MY BRAIN".
- "The Dogs [Detroit/L.A.] Discography - USA - 45cat". www.45cat.com.
- "Garage, Exotica, Surf, Psych, KBD + mail order shop". www.dionysusrecords.com.
- "Suburban Nightmare - Dogs - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic.