The Ghost Who Saved the Bank at Monte Carlo
|"The Ghost who Saved the Bank at Monte Carlo"|
|Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Jeremy Summers|
|Written by||Tony Williamson|
|Original air date||30 November 1969|
The Ghost who Saved the Bank at Monte Carlo is the eleventh episode of the 1969 ITC British television series Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) starring Mike Pratt, Kenneth Cope and Annette Andre. The episode was first broadcast on 30 November 1969 on the ITV. Directed by Jeremy Summers.
Marty's Aunt Clara hires Jeff as a bodyguard for a trip to Monte Carlo where she plans to win £100,000 on her self-devised gambling system. With a thousand pounds, she plans to make £25,000 on the first night, £50,000 on the second night and the remainder on the third night. Although she professes to not like gambling, she claims to have studied every failed gambling system "since 1879" and has already won enough at a local casino to pay for her airfare. Having gone through four years of theorizing Clara is ready to put her system into operation, though is unknowingly tailed by suspicious staff from the first Casino, most notably, Brian Blessed. When she arrives at Monte Carlo, French gangsters clash with the English gangsters, both of whom are fighting over Aunt Clara's system. After much conflict they join forces, holding Jeannie at gunpoint so that Jeff and Clara will go with them after Clara's third night of winning at the wheel. Jeff begs Clara to lose, and, when she won't agree, uses Marty to rig the roulette. With the assorted gangsters now believing Clara's system to be beginner's luck, they leave only for Jeff to learn they were being watched the entire time by Casino security. Jeff, Jeannie, Marty and Clara take the plane home only for Clara to speculate what to tackle next horse racing or the stock exchange!
- Mike Pratt as Jeff Randall
- Kenneth Cope as Marty Hopkirk
- Annette Andre as Jeannie Hopkirk
- Mary Merrall .... Clara Faringham
- Brian Blessed .... Jim Lawsey
- Veronica Carlson .... Suzanne
- Clive Cazes .... Claude
- Nicolas Chagrin .... Andre
- Nicholas Courtney .... Max
- Roger Croucher .... Terry
- Roger Delgado .... Tapiro
- Hans De Vries .... Hibert
- Eva Enger .... Young Lady
- Michael Forrest .... Verrier
- Richard Pescud .... Hotel Receptionist
- John Sharp .... Sagran
- Colin Vancao .... French Croupier
Video and DVD release
The episode was released on VHS and several times on DVD with differing special features.
- During the filming of this episode, Nicholas Courtney (Max) and Roger Delgado (Tapiro) met for the first time; they are best known for their recurring roles in Doctor Who in the early 1970s, playing Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and the Master respectively. They appeared in a total of seven serials together from 1971 to 1972, all of which starred Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor.