The Good Cop
|The Good Cop|
|Created by||Andy Breckman|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Production location(s)||New York City|
|Running time||42-49 minutes|
|Original release||September 21, 2018|
On November 13, 2018, Netflix canceled the series after one season.
- Tony Danza as Anthony "Tony" Caruso Sr., a streetwise ex-cop paroled from prison after serving seven years for a corruption conviction. He's tough and stubborn and knows the ins and outs of the criminal underworld. Although prohibited from interacting professionally with active police personnel, he is intent on proving that he still has what it takes to fight crime and solve homicide cases.
- Josh Groban as Anthony "TJ" Caruso Jr., Tony Sr.'s son, a by-the-book NYPD lieutenant who, in contrast to his father, goes to great lengths to avoid departmental infractions, even minor ones.
- Monica Barbaro as Cora Vasquez, an inspector turned homicide detective in the NYPD and Tony Sr.'s parole officer. She is a subordinate of Tony Jr.
- Isiah Whitlock Jr. as Burl Loomis, a veteran NYPD sergeant on the verge of retirement who coasts his way through investigations, making as little effort as possible. He refuses to chase suspects on foot or get out of his car during cold weather.
- Bill Kottkamp as Ryan, a technical crime analyst for the NYPD. He is ultra-nerdy, technologically savvy, and obsessed with electronic devices.
- John Scurti as Wendell Kirk, a barber and Tony Sr.'s friend
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Who Framed the Good Cop?"||Randy Zisk||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|2||"What Is the Supermodel's Secret?"||Randy Zisk||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|3||"Who Is the Ugly German Lady?"||Alex Hardcastle||David Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|4||"Will the Good Cop Bowl 300?"||Rodrigo García||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|5||"Will Big Tony Roll Over?"||Kevin Hooks||Jonathan Collier||September 21, 2018|
|6||"Did the TV Star Do It?"||Silver Tree||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|7||"Who Killed the Guy on the Ski Lift?"||Kevin Hooks||Hy Conrad||September 21, 2018|
|8||"Will Cora Get Married?"||Neema Barnette||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|9||"Why Kill a Busboy?"||Rebecca Asher||Jonathan Collier||September 21, 2018|
|10||"Who Cut Mrs. Ackroyd in Half?"||Randy Zisk||Andy Breckman||September 21, 2018|
|An elderly resident of a senior living facility is killed in an elevator accident. Tony Sr. and Tony Jr. believe it was no accident, suspect foul play, and begin piecing together clues pointing to various residents and employees in the building.|
Netflix announced the new series in June 2017. The show stars Tony Danza as "a disgraced, former NYPD officer who never followed the rules", and Josh Groban as his son, Tony Jr., "an earnest, obsessively honest NYPD detective who makes a point of always following the rules". The show was created and is written by Andy Breckman, who created and wrote the Emmy Award-winning USA Network series Monk.
The main characters are father and son policemen, Tony Caruso Sr. and Jr., who live together. Tony Sr. (Danza) was expelled from law enforcement for chronic violations of departmental policy, while his son, Tony Jr. (Groban) scrupulously obeys departmental procedures. During one scene in episode 1, two of Tony Jr.'s colleagues reveal that others in the department refer to him sarcastically as the "Choir Boy" and "Nancy Drew." In the series, according to Netflix, "This 'odd couple' become unofficial partners as Tony Sr. offers his overly-cautious son blunt, street-wise advice on everything from handling suspects to handling women."
Danza, a native New Yorker, is on the board of directors of the city's Police Athletic League, and "will be able to draw on his real-life connection to the NYPD" to develop his character and role. The first season is being filmed in various neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
About the series, Breckman said, "Many cop shows feature dark and provocative material: psycho-sexual killers, twisted, grim, flawed detectives. Many address the most controversial issues of the day. I watch a lot of them. God bless 'em all. But the show I want to produce is playful, family-friendly, and a celebration of old-fashioned puzzle-solving."
On November 13, 2018, it was announced that the series is canceled after one season.
In episode 6, "Did the TV Star Do It?," the murder victim is identified as "Beth Landau". The character is named after series creator Andy Breckman's wife. Breckman had previously named a murder victim after his wife (then-fiancée) in season 2, episode 1 of Monk, "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School". Beth Landau (spelled "Landow" in Monk) is the only character murdered twice in shows written by her real-life husband.
- Netflix (2018-06-10), The Good Cop | Official Teaser [HD] | Netflix, retrieved 2018-06-11
- Andreeva, Nellie (2017-11-06). "Josh Groban To Star Opposite Tony Danza In 'The Good Cop' Netflix Series". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Middleton, Richard (2017-06-20). "Netflix remakes Israel's Good Cop". C21Media.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 13, 2018). "'The Good Cop' Tony Danza-Josh Groban Dramedy Canceled By Netflix After One Season". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2017-11-09). "'The Good Cop': Monica Barbaro To Star In Netflix Series". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Petski, Denise (2017-11-14). "'The Good Cop': Isiah Whitlock Jr. Cast In Netflix Series". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Petski, Denise (2018-04-06). "Frank Whaley Joins 'The Good Cop'; 'Suspicion' Casts Sofia Bryant". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- Otterson, Joe, "Tony Danza to Star in Netflix Series ‘The Good Cop’," Variety, June 19, 2017
- Andreeva, Nellie, "Josh Groban To Star Opposite Tony Danza In ‘The Good Cop’ Netflix Series", Deadline Hollywood, Nov. 8, 2017
- Zuckerman, Esther,"Tony Danza to play a bad cop in Netflix’s The Good Cop," A.V. Club, June 19, 2017
- Andreeva, Nellie (2017-06-19). "Netflix Orders Tony Danza Dramedy Series 'The Good Cop' From 'Monk' Duo". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- McGoldrick, Meaghan, "PHOTOS: 'The Good Cop,' starring Tony Danza, Josh Groban, seen shooting in Bay Ridge", The Brooklyn Reporter, January 22, 2018
- Matthews, Liam, "A Tony Danza Cop Dramedy Is Coming to Netflix," TVGuide, June 19, 2017
- Pat Irwin bio and credits at PatIrwinMusic.com
- "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School" plot summary at IMDB