Can't Wait to See the Movie
|Can't Wait to See the Movie|
|Studio album by Roger Daltrey|
|Studio||At various studios in London and Los Angeles|
|Label||Atlantic (1987 LP and Cassettes)
Rhino (1987 CD format)
Virgin (outside US/Canada)
|Roger Daltrey chronology|
|Singles from Can't Wait to See the Movie|
Can't Wait to See the Movie is the seventh solo studio album by English singer, songwriter and actor Roger Daltrey, the lead vocalist for The Who. The album was released in mid 1987 on the record label Atlantic, and was primarily produced by Alan Shacklock, in association with David Foster, Chas Sanford and Jimmy Scott. Among the songs Daltrey is credited as co-writer on two tracks "Balance on Wires" and "Take Me Home". David Foster co-wrote the track "The Price of Love", which was also featured in the 1987 movie The Secret of My Success starring Michael J. Fox.
Can't Wait to See the Movie is a pop album that incorporates some genres such as funk, rock, and jazz, and it makes prominent use of the synthesizer. The album was received negatively by the majority of music critics, with some critics describing its music as inauthentic and bemoaning the production as too polished. It was also a commercial disappointment, missing the album charts in Europe and the US. One critic referred to it as "Can't Wait to Sell the Record," while other reviewers noted good points to the recordings. When asked about the album at the time, Daltrey said that "It's amazing after all these years how everything can become new and fun again."
Unlike Daltrey's previous album, Under a Raging Moon (1985), there was a move towards a much more polished studio production as Daltrey chose to utilize drum machines heavily instead of live drums. Hence, although Tony Beard is credited as drummer on the album's liner notes, he actually contributed very little drumming.
The album's only UK top 100 hit, "Hearts of Fire", was written by Russ Ballard. Ballard played the guitar on this track, as well as provided background vocals. Ballard also wrote and performed on Daltrey's first two solo albums, Daltrey (1973) and Ride a Rock Horse (1975). Daltrey recorded some other Ballard originals for his McVicar soundtrack and his previous album Under a Raging Moon. This album remains his final contribution from Ballard.
Reviewing for AllMusic, critic Mike DeGagne wrote of the album "Knowing the potential that is harnessed within Daltrey, his half-hearted attempts at unleashing the pains built up by failed romances doesn't add up to much. Some uplifting sax played by Gary Barnacle keeps the album from being a total write-off as it surfaces here and there, but a lifeless array of synthesizers droning in the backdrop of every song nullifies even the smallest asset, while adding to the pretentiousness."
The original US album track listing is as follows:
|1.||"Hearts of Fire"||Russ Ballard||5:06|
|2.||"When the Thunder Comes"||Damon Metrebian, Chas Sandford||3:39|
|3.||"Ready for Love"||Kit Hain||3:28|
|4.||"Balance on Wires"||Daltrey, Don Snow||6:22|
|5.||"Miracle of Love"||Mark Morgan, Jimmy Scott||4:38|
|6.||"The Price of Love"||Jack Blades, David Foster||4:16|
|7.||"The Heart Has Its Reasons"||Jimmy Scott||4:11|
|8.||"Alone in the Night"||Steve Bates, Larry Lee, Tom Whitlock, Richie Zito||4:27|
|9.||"Lover's Storm"||Tom Kelly, Gary Usher||3:53|
|10.||"Take Me Home"||Axel Bauer, Daltrey, Michel Eli, Nigel Hinton||5:45|
- Additional musicians
- David Foster - Keyboards
- Nick Glennie-Smith - Keyboards
- Mark Morgan - Keyboards
- Don Snow - Keyboards
- John Van Tongeren - Keyboards
- Russ Ballard - Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Gary Grainger - Guitar
- Michael Landau - Guitar
- Dave "Clem" Clempson - Guitar
- Chas Sandford - Guitar
- Chris Sandford - Guitar
- Phil Brown - Bass Guitar, Guitar, Rhythm Guitar
- John Siegler - Bass Guitar
- Tris Imboden - Drums, Drum Overdubs
- Tony Beard - Drums, Rums
- Martin Ditcham - Percussion
- Rev. Dave Boruff - Saxophone, Synthesizer
- Gary Barnacle - Saxophone
- Bimbo Acock - Saxophone
- Chris Eaton - Backing Vocals
- Lance Ellington - Backing Vocals
- John Payne - Backing Vocals
- Jimmy Scott - Backing Vocals
- Miriam Stockley - Backing Vocals
- Mark Williamson - Backing Vocals
- Annie McCaig - Backing Vocals
- Joho Payee - Backing Vocals
- Alan Shacklock - Record Producer
- David Foster - Record Producer
- Jimmy Scott - Executive Producer
- Chas Sandford - Executive Producer
- Noel Harris - Production Assistant
- Paul Batchelor - Production Assistant
- Mark Frank - Engineer
- Richard Niles - Horn Arrangements
- Michael Boddicker - Synthesizer Programming
- Marc A. Frank - Remixing
- Album artwork
- Mike DeGagne. "Can't Wait to See the Movie - Roger Daltrey | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- "Jimmy Scott Discography". Jimmy Scott, songwriter. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Can't Wait to See the Movie". Thewho.net. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- "Roger Daltrey - Can't Wait To See The Movie - 1987 USA Press Kit". Thewho.info. 2014-10-13. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Can't Wait to See the Movie". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2014-05-22.