|Owner(s)||Osteen Publishing Co.|
|Editor||Tonyia McGirt (Managing Editor)|
|Founded||Oct. 15, 1894|
|Headquarters||20 N. Magnolia St., Sumter, SC, United States|
The Item, formerly known as The Sumter Daily Item and The Daily Item is an independent, morning newspaper published in Sumter, South Carolina, by Osteen Publishing Company. It has a circulation of approximately 20,000.
The paper, then called The Sumter Daily Item, was first published on October 15, 1894, by Hubert Graham Osteen. It previously had been operated as The Watchmen and Southron (a merger of Sumter Watchman and True Southron). Osteen served as the paper's editor and publisher until his retirement in 1946.
In 2008, the paper changed its Monday edition to a tabloid format before abandoning the Monday edition altogether. However, the paper's website is updated each Monday, with news and obituaries.
The paper covers Sumter, Lee and Clarendon counties, with a dedicated bureau located in Manning which publishes a weekly section, "The Clarendon Sun," each Tuesday. Lakeside, magazine covering the Sumter, Clarendon, Orangeburg, Berkeley and Calhoun County areas of Lake Marion is also published six times a year.
- Assistant Managing Editor Braden Bunch
- Features Editor Ivy Moore
- Sports Editor Dennis Brunson
- Senior Staff Writer Robert J. Baker
- Staff Writer Jade Anderson
- Staff Writer Sharron Haley, Clarendon Bureau
- Staff Writer Bristow Marchant
- Sports Writer Michael Christopher
- Sports Writer Justin Driggers
- Archivist Sammy Way
- Newsclerk/Librarian Sandra Holbert