The Knife Thrower and Other Stories
The Knife Thrower and Other Stories by Steven Millhauser, first published in 1998 by Crown Publishers, Inc., New York City. It is a collection of short stories, some of which were published by various journals, such as The Paris Review, Harper's Magazine, and The New Yorker. It continues in a similar vein to Millhauser's previous efforts that mix the extraordinary into everyday life.
Stories, with previous publishers, if available.
- "The Knife Thrower" (Harper's Magazine)
- "A Visit" (The New Yorker)
- "The Sisterhood of Night" (Harper's Magazine)
- "The Way Out" (Story)
- "Flying Carpets" (The Paris Review)
- "The New Automaton Theater" (Canto)
- "Clair de Lune"
- "The Dream of the Consortium" (Harper's Magazine)
- "Balloon Flight, 1870" (The Yale Review)
- "Paradise Park" (Grand Street)
- "Kaspar Hauser Speaks" (The Kenyon Review)
- "Beneath the Cellars of Our Town"
The Knife Thrower and Other Stories by Steven Milhauser, published by Vintage Press, First Vintage Contemporaries Edition, March 1999.