The Last Day of Summer (film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Last Day of Summer|
|Directed by||Blair Treu|
|Written by||Kent Pierce|
Jon Kent Ethridge
|Music by||James Venable|
The Last Day of Summer is a 2007 television movie broadcast by Nickelodeon on July 20, 2007.
Luke Malloy and his friends, A.J. and Riley, perform together as a band named Steel Monkey. They are starting middle school in two days, warned by Luke's older sister Diana of the dangers of junior high and of the bully, Meat, who constantly threatens incoming sixth graders. Luke dismisses Diana's warnings and the boys sleepover in a tent that night.
The following morning, the boys visit a carnival, where Steel Monkey is scheduled to perform in a talent show. Luke embarrasses himself in front of his crush, Alice, and the boys encounter Meat and his friends, who threaten them. They later visit a skate park, where experienced skateboarder Snake advises them about skating. Steel Monkey is nervous about the show, fearing their reputation in middle school is at stake.
Luke wishes the day would never end and that he could do all he wanted with his final day of summer. He is knocked unconscious by a large wooden board while returning a frisbee seconds later, and awakens in the same tent he woke up in that morning, realizing his wish has sent him back in time. He repeats the day, trying to impress Alice, teach kindness to Meat, and impress Snake, but is sent back to that morning each time he is hit by the board. Eventually he makes it to the talent show, and Steel Monkey's performance is received warmly, though Luke is still knocked out, this time by a chipmunk that falls from the top of the stage.
Luke wakes up on the first day of school, but discovers he has to stay home due to his head injury. A.J. and Riley visit Luke before school starts, and Luke looks ahead to school the next day.
- Jansen Panettiere as Luke Malloy
- Jon Kent Ethridge as A.J. Perkins
- Eli Vargas as Riley Johnson
- Alexandra Krosney as Diana Malloy
- Denyse Tontz as Alice Keefe
- Brendan Miller as Snake
- Daniel Samonas as Melvin "Meat"
- Creagen Dow as Gus
- Jennette McCurdy as Dory Sorenson
- Vince Grant as Frank Malloy
- Jessica Tuck as Mary Malloy
- Sean Whalen as Mr. Molesky
- Bailee Madison as Maxine
- Vicki Lewis as Paige
- Jackée Harry as Lola The Lobster
- Kayla Henry as Stephanie
- Nicholas S. Morrison as Cronie #1
- Bowling For Soup - "Greatest Day"
- Cartel - "Say Anything (Else)"
- Holly Lindin - "Summer Sunshine Mix"
- Jive Jones - "Me, Myself and I"
- Erik Hawkins - "Rock Da Beat"
- Steel Monkey - "End Of Summer"
The film received mixed reviews, gaining a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes.