The Lovers' Guide
The Lovers' Guide is a sex and relationships advice brand, produced by Lifetime Productions International Ltd, which launched with the release of the first Lovers' Guide video in 1991. Presented by the sexologist Dr Andrew Stanway, and produced by Robert Page and William Campbell, this became the only non-fiction film to top the UK video charts; it sold 1.3 million copies in the UK and went into 13 languages and 22 countries around the world. The release caused controversy. While the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) granted the title an 18 certificate, which would normally be a license for general UK distribution, this was technically merely advisory and the producer, Robert Page, faced charges of obscenity, which were subsequently dropped.
The Lovers' Guide is distinct for using explicit video material to illustrate the instructional points being made. While the explicit nature of the visual content would usually warrant an R18 certificate in the UK, restricting sales to licensed sex shops, all Lovers' Guide videos and DVDs have been granted 18 certificates.
Lovers' Guide products has expanded to ten further DVDs, a book, an encyclopaedia, two CD-ROMs and cassettes and CDs of the soundtracks. It has also been shown on encrypted television. These have been produced, distributed and retailed with partners such as W.H. Smith, Woolworths, Carlton, Bloomsbury, Warners, Sony and Universal. The brand website is .
Lovers' Guide programmes
- The Lovers' Guide, 1991
- The Lovers' Guide: Making Sex Even Better, 1992
- The Lovers' Guide: Better Orgasms, 1993
- The Essential Lovers' Guide, 1996
- The Lovers' Guide: Secrets of Sensational Sex, 1999
- The Lovers' Guide: What Women Really Want, 2002
- The Lovers' Guide: Sexual Positions, 2003
- The Lovers' Guide: Sex Play, 2004
- The Lovers' Guide: Satisfaction Guaranteed: 7 Secrets to a Passionate Love Life, 2005
- The Lovers' Guide Interactive, 2008
- The Lovers' Guide 3D: Igniting Desire, 2011
- Official website
- The Lovers' Guide on IMDb
- The Lifetime Group
- Article: Sex manuals still a guiding light?
- Article: "Educational" sex videos: what are they teaching?
- The Relationship Specialists
- BBFC background re sexual health education titles
|This article about a sexuality-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|