The Megaphonic Thrift
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Megaphonic Thrift is composed of four Norwegians from Bergen, Norway. Joining forces with the collective desire to create a new sonic adventure, Richard Myklebust, Linn Frøkedal (The Low Frequency in Stereo), Fredrik Vogsborg (Casiokids) and Njål Clementsen (The Low Frequency in Stereo) created The Megaphonic Thrift.
The band has several European and North-American tours behind them, and has amongst other things performed at SXSW, CMJ, The Great Escape, PopKomm and Roskilde, as well as several support shows for Dinosaur Jr, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Band of Horses and A Place to Bury Strangers.
The Megaphonic Thrift recorded their third full length LP together with producer Jørgen Træen (Kings of Convenience, Jaga Jazzist, Motorpsyho) in renowned Duper studio. The album, "Sun Stare Sounds", was released by YAP Records (Datarock, Noxagt, Ungdomskulen) in 2015.
They have been described as a “Master class in sonic terrorism” and a “trashing, sciatica-shock assault on noise rock” by Drowned in Sound, and acclaimed for being “Face-meltingly intense” by NME.
The band released their debut album “Decay Decoy” in March 2011 on the UK label Club AC30. The album achieved universal acclaim and received very good reviews in multiple blogs and magazines. In March 2012 the band released their second and self titled album. “The Megaphonic Thrift” received hugely positive reviews on multiple music blogs and influential publications, nationally and internationally.
The Megaphonic Thrift is also renowned for their energetic live shows. Pitchfork reviewed one of them: "... they set up a perfectly tuneful song, then carefully unravel it strand by melodic strand-- all in about four minutes. The result is a surge of scribbly, dissonant guitars, propelled by a percussive bass line and drumbeat that punishes the hi-hat and cymbals."
- ”Sun Stare Sound” LP (2015)
- ”Moonstruck” 7”. Tuba in Norway, Pad & Pen in Denmark, Sonic Unyon in North America, ClubAC30 in Europe and Donuts Pop in Japan (2012)
- ”The Megaphonic Thrift” LP. Tuba in Norway, Pad & Pen in Denmark, Sonic Unyon in North America, ClubAC30 in Europe and Donuts Pop in Japan (2012)
- ”Talks like a Weed king” 7”. Club AC30 (2011)
- ”Decay Decoy” LP. Hype City Recordings in Norway, ClubAC30 in Europe, Pad & Pen Records in Denmark, Sonic Unyon in North America and Donuts Pop in Japan (2010).
- ”A Thousand Years Of Deconstruction EP”. Spoon Train Audio/Tuba (2009) and Deadly People Records (2010).
- ”Neues/Break It Down” 7”. Sounds Gold (2010)
- ”Acid Blues” Digital single. Deadly Records (2009)
- ”Acid Blues/Mad Mary” 7”. Sounds Gold (2008)