The Iranian National Museum of Medical Sciences History
|This article does not cite any sources. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This section contains a gallery of images.|
The Iranian National Museum of Medical Sciences History is the first medical museum established in Iran by a joint project between the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization, the Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences, and Tehran University of Medical Sciences.
In spring 1997 and during a meeting with presence of Dr. Mohammad Frahadi (the former Minister of Health and Medical Education), Dr. Eiraj Fazel (the former head of the Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences), Sayyed Mohammad Beheshti (the former head of the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization) and Dr. Mohammad Reza Zafarqandi (the former head of Tehran University of Medical Sciences) and many other officials, Dr. Maziar Ashrafian Bonab appointed as the head of the project and the museum.
During the first two years of the project a very beautiful historic building which dates back to the late Qajar era and located in North Amir Abad (Tehran) allocated and prepared for this museum. At the same time, several scientific research were performed by groups of researchers and scientist under supervision of Dr. Maziar Ashrafian Bonab, to find, locate and collect all objects, documents, manuscripts and even art works related to the medical history of the country.
Inaugurated in September 2002 by Dr. Mohammad Farhadi, Dr. Mohammad-Reza Zafarqandi and Sayyed Mohammad Beheshti and Dr. Maziar Ashrafian Bonab the museum is jointly operated by ICHO and Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Since 2002 Dr. Shams Shariate Torbaqan has been the head of the museum.
The building of the museum, and is located in Amir Abad in Tehran. The National Museum of Medical Sciences History has the following sections:
- Ancient and historic tools used in medicine
- Manuscripts and medical documents
- Iran’s famous physicians
- History of nursing and midwifery in Iran
- History of veterinary medicine in Iran
- History of dentistry in Iran
- Herbal medicine
- Traditional medicine
The goals of the museum are as the following:
- Developing and organizing research activities to introduce the valuable heritage of the great masters of medicine to the present and future generations,and to promote the public culture, and furnish a clear picture of the glorious past of medicine in Iran.
- Discovering, studying, collecting,repairing, and maintaining works, tools, devices, and documents related to medicine from the ancient times to the present day, and their presentation to encourage research, and study.
- Official website
- Template:Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Template:The Iranian National Museum of Medical Sciences History
- Template:Hamshahri online
- Photo Gallery of National History Museum of Medical Sciences History of IRAN