National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory
The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL) is a research center within the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, specifically devoted towards the research of personal protective equipment (PPE). The NPPTL was created in 2001 at the request of the U.S. Congress, in response to a recognized need for improved research in PPE and technologies. It focuses on experimentation and recommendations for respirator masks, by ensuring a level of standard filter efficiency, and develops criteria for testing and developing PPE.
The laboratory conducts research and provides recommendations for other types of PPE, including protective clothing, gloves, eye protection, headwear, hearing protection, chemical sensors, and communication devices for safe deployment of emergency workers. It also maintains certification for N95 respirators, and hosts an annual education day for N95 education. Its emergency response research is part of a collaboration with the National Fire Protection Association. The NPPTL also maintains a searchable listing of equipment that it has certified.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Occupational safety and health
- Personal protective equipment
- The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory - NPPTL homepage
- NPPTL research projects, 2015
- NPPTL Certified Equipment List - Searchable listing of Certified Equipment List
- NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators - Information on respirators
- NIOSH (December 1, 2011). "CDC - NIOSH - About NPPTL". National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "NFPA and NIOSH form alliance for emergency responder safety". www.nfpa.org. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- NIOSH (June 14, 2012). "CDC - Respirators - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic". National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "CDC - NIOSH - NIOSH-Approved Holiday, N95 Day". www.cdc.gov. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "CDC - NIOSH - NPPTL Certified Equipment List". www.cdc.gov. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "CDC - NIOSH Program Portfolio : Personal Protective Technology : Program Description". www.cdc.gov. Retrieved 2015-09-03.