The Nun and the Sergeant
|The Nun and the Sergeant|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Franklin Adreon|
|Produced by||Eugene Frenke|
|Written by||Don Cerveris|
|Music by||Jerry Fielding|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
The Nun and the Sergeant is a 1962 Korean War drama starring Anna Sten and Robert Webber in the title roles. It was produced by Sten's husband Eugene Frenke, who had produced Heaven Knows, Mr Allison, also a pairing of a Catholic nun and a U.S. Marine. It was directed by Franklin Adreon and released through United Artists.
In a forerunner of The Dirty Dozen, Marine Gunnery Sergeant McGrath (Robert Webber) takes 12 Marines from the brig and trains them to blow up a tunnel behind North Korean lines. McGrath's only friend on the patrol is his Korean guide Pak (Dale Ishimoto). Hating their sergeant, the Marines plan to return to their lines without him, seeing that he becomes "a casualty of war". However, en route to their target they find an injured nun (Anna Sten) and a group of Korean convent girls whose bus has been destroyed.
The Marines change their views when Sgt. McGrath protects the group. When one of their squad (Leo Gordon) attempts to rape one of the young girls, the brig rats turn against him. They proceed with their mission as Marines.
- Robert Webber as Sgt. McGrath
- Anna Sten as Nun
- Leo Gordon as Dockman
- Hari Rhodes as Hall
- Robert Easton as Nupert
- Dale Ishimoto as Pak
- Linda Wong as Bok Soon
- Linda Ho as Soon Cha
- Tod Windsor as Nevins
- Valentin de Vargas as Rivas
- Ken Miller as Quill
- Norman Dupont as Mossback
- Roger Torrey as Turnbridge
- Gregori F. Kris as Johnson
- Caroline Kido as Myung Hee
Don Cerveris was an English teacher breaking into screenwriting; one of his pupils was Frank Zappa. Producer Frenke sought Department of Defense cooperation for the film in 1960 when the project was originally titled The Nun and McGrath. The stars of the film, Robert Webber and Hari Rhodes, and director Franklin Adreon were former Marines.
- p.50 Projansky, Sarah Watching Rape: Film and Television in Post Feminist Culture 2001 NYU Press
- p.32 Slavan, Neal Electric Don Quixote: The Definitive Story of Frank Zappa 2003 Omnibus Press
- "Booth Family Center for Special Collections – Georgetown University Library". Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- The Nun and the Sergeant on IMDb
- The Nun and the Sergeant at AllMovie
- The Nun and the Sergeant at the TCM Movie Database
|This article about a war film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|