The Old House, Hereford
The Black and White House Museum is a well-preserved half-timbered Jacobean building in the centre of Hereford. It was built in 1621 as part of Butchers' Row. In 1816, other buildings on the row started to be demolished, and, now, Old House is the only remaining house in the original row. The house has been used by butchers, ironmongers, and bankers during its history.
The fireplace in the South East room came from another house in the city and is probably 15th century. The moulded frieze on the second floor is early 18th century. In a 1931 report the house was described as the "best preserved example of a timber framed house in the city".
Since 1929, the Old House has been a museum presenting life in Jacobean times. The house is furnished in the style of the period. Objects on display include baby walkers and wall paintings. The museum's beds include at least one from Penrhyn Old Hall. In 2017, brand new embroidered bedspreads were displayed on the beds in the museum.
In 2017, Herefordshire Council refurbished the Old House and changed the name to The Black and White House Museum.
- Grade I listed buildings in Herefordshire
- List of museums in Herefordshire
- Hereford Museum and Art Gallery
- Old House, High Town, Hereford, Culture 24, UK.
- The Old House, Haunted Hereford, UK.
- An inventory of the historic monuments in Herefordshire. Royal Commission on Historic Monuments in England. 1931.
- Weaver, Philip (2015). A Dictionary of Herefordshire Biography. Logaston Press. p. 23. ISBN 978-1906663971.
- "The Mayor's Chain". Hereford City Heritage. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Search the List". Historic England.
- "The Old House, Hereford, Herefordshire, England".
- Cain, Rebecca. "Hard work of art society members goes on display". The Hereford Times. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "The Black and White House Museum". Tripadvisor. 20 December 2017.
- "The Black and White House Museum". Herefordshire Council. Herefordshire Council. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Goddard, Ben. "The Black and White House Museum in High Street, Hereford, to be opened following refurbishment". The Hereford Times. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
|This article relating to a museum in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Herefordshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|