The One & Nines
The One & Nines
The One & Nines at Maxwell's in 2011.
|Origin||Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Rhythm and blues, soul, indie, rock and roll|
|Labels||Mint 400 Records, Cotter Records|
The One & Nines are an American rhythm and blues band from New Jersey.
The One & Nines are an eight piece-band from Jersey City, New Jersey, named after the U.S. Route 1/9, a multi-lane route that runs through urbanized areas of northern New Jersey. Vocalist Vera Sousa grew up listening to Portuguese folk music and Fado, and guitarist and vocalist Jeff Marino became interested in listening to old-school R&B while in high school in Elizabeth, and he collected old vinyl records. On their musical style, The Star-Ledger says the One & Nines are "vintage R&B and Stax-Volt soul – right down to the punctuating blasts from the horns[;] but it's singer Vera Souza's alternately brassy, pained and pouting vocals that really gets the party swinging,"  Marino and Sousa cite musical influences as the Stones, the Clash, Fats Domino, Howlin' Wolf, Phil Spector, Hank Williams, Arthur Alexander, Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday, and the One & Nines draw comparison to Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings and Booker T. Jones.
Their first release is the seven-track EP, The One & Nines, released on compact disc on 12 December 2009 with Mint 400 Records. The songs "Walked Alone" and "Just Your Fool" were released on 7"-vinyl in 2010. On 25 October 2011, the One & Nines released the songs "Tell Me" and "Make it Easy" on 7"-vinyl with Cotter Records and digitally with Mint 400 Records.  An live version of the song "Tears Fall" appears on the 2011 album Our First Compilation.
The One & Nines make contributions to several tribute albums. For Mint 400 Records Presents the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, they "bring their Motown swing to "I'm Waiting for the Day" and "Here Today."" They also recorded renditions of "Let's Spend the Night Together" for 1967, and "Run Chicken Run" for Guitar Rebel: A Tribute to Link Wray.
- The One & Nines (2009)
- "Just Your Fool" (2010)
- "Walked Alone" b/w "Something on Your Mind" (2010)
- "Tell Me" b/w "Make It Easy" (2011)
- Appearing on
- Our First Compilation (2011)
- A Very Merry Christmas Compilation (2012)
- Mint 400 Records Presents the Beach Boys Pet Sounds (2013)
- Patchwork (2014)
- 1967 (2015)
- Guitar Rebel: A Tribute to Link Wray (2016)
- Anderson, Stacy (3 August 2011), "New York Band of the Week: The One & Nines", WNBC, archived from the original on 24 August 2014
- Harte Gilsenan, Brendan (3 July 2011), "The One and Nines", NJ.com, retrieved 23 August 2014
- McCall, Tris (16 September 2011), "Brick City Sound Riot brings independent rock to Newark", The Star-Ledger, retrieved 23 August 2014
- Newman, Mike (13 December 2011), "New 7" Single from Jersey City Rock n' Soulers, The One & Nines", The Vinyl District, retrieved 23 August 2014
- Pirate! Staff (12 July 2011), "The One & Nines", Pirate!, retrieved 23 March 2019
- PRLog Staff (1 March 2011), "One & Nines Self-Titled EP Release Today: Mint 400 Records Interviews Guitarist/Vocalist Jeff Marino", PRLog, retrieved 23 March 2019
- Quinlan, Richard (2011), "The One and Nines - "Tell Me" b/w "Make It Easy"", Jersey Beat, retrieved 23 August 2014
- Testa, Jim (2013), "Consumer Guide", Jersey Beat, retrieved 23 March 2019