The One Where No One Proposes
|"The One Where No One Proposes"|
|Episode no.||Season 9|
|Directed by||Kevin S. Bright|
|Written by||Sherry Bilsing-Graham & Ellen Plummer|
|Original air date||September 26, 2002|
At the end of season eight, Rachel accidentally thinks Joey proposes to her, and says yes. Now Joey tries to tell her the truth, while Ross gets convinced he proposed to Rachel himself. Monica and Chandler continue their attempts to get a baby of their own, and use a utility closet in the hospital, where they are caught by Jack, Monica's father. In this episode, everyone is at the hospital and is confused over who has proposed to Rachel. Rachel thinks Joey proposed when in fact he didn't. Phoebe sees Rachel with the ring which actually belonged to Ross's grandmother she thinks Ross proposed. She confronts Ross who denies proposing to Rachel, but later thinks he might have. He says "it does look like something I would do", joking about the fact that he's been married and divorced three times. He decides to meet Rachel to put an end to the confusion. Joey comes in and Ross and Joey then end up arguing and poor Rachel realises that no one actually proposed. Joey leaves and Ross tries to see if he can start things up again with Rachel. Then he realises something and asks Rachel, "when you thought Joey proposed, did... you... say yes?" Rachel doesn't know what to answer and the episode ends in a cliffhanger.
- In the original broadcast, the episode was viewed by 25.5 million viewers.
- Sam Ashurst from Digital Spy ranked it #219 on their ranking of the 236 Friends episodes.
- Telegraph & Argus ranked it #210 on their ranking of all 236 Friends episodes.
- "Friends - TV Guide". TVGuide.com.
- "Friends Nielsen Ratings Archive - Season Nine". newmusicandmore.tripod.com.
- Ashurst, Sam (1 January 2018). "Every single Friends episode – RANKED". Digital Spy.
- "The definitive ranking of all 236 Friends episodes". Bradford Telegraph and Argus.