The Queen of Ireland
|The Queen of Ireland|
|Directed by||Conor Horgan|
|Edited by||Mick Mahon|
|Music by||Michael Fleming|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
The Queen of Ireland is a 2015 Irish documentary film directed by Conor Horgan. It focuses on Rory O'Neill, better known as Panti, in the lead up to the historic referendum on marriage equality for same-sex couples in Ireland. When the film debuted in Ireland, it had the highest ever grossing opening weekend for an Irish documentary.
The film has been positively received, with Tara Brady of The Irish Times remarking that the "triumphant documentary deftly weaves through monumental moment of social history without losing sight of protagonist". Paul Whitington of The Irish Independent rated it 4 stars, while The Guardian also rated it 4 stars, writing that "Horgan’s film shapes up as a most pleasing portrait."
- "THE QUEEN OF IRELAND (18)". British Board of Film Classification. 5 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "The Queen Of Ireland makes Irish documentary history". Hot Press. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Tara Brady (23 October 2015). "Tragedy, comedy, a plucky, unlikely heroine, and a sweeping dramatic arc". The Irish Times. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Paul Whitington (23 October 2015). "All hail the queen of hearts". The Irish Independent. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Dragging a nation forward". The Guardian. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 29 October 2015.