The Rodiad is a pornographic poem on the subject of flagellation published by John Camden Hotten in 1871, although falsely dated to 1810. It has been ascribed, apparently falsely, to George Colman the Younger. A candidate for its authorship is Richard Monckton Milnes. Henderson places it in The Library Illustrative of Social Progress published around 1872 (falsely dated 1777) but it is not in the list of Henry Spencer Ashbee.
The Betuliad, a manuscript in the British Library from Ashbee's bequest, is identical to The Rodiad. It was known under this title to Sir Richard Burton who wrote to Milne on 22 January 1860 praising it.
- Knight, George Wilson (1971). Neglected powers: essays on nineteenth and twentieth century literature. Routledge. p. 129. ISBN 0-7100-6681-3.
- Whyte, Christopher (1995). Gendering the nation: studies in modern Scottish literature. Edinburgh University Press. p. 216. ISBN 0-7486-0619-X.
- Lycett, Andrew (12 March 2001). "Erotic heaven". New Statesman.
- Nelson (2000) p.10
- Henderson, Andrea K. (2008). Romanticism and the painful pleasures of modern life. Cambridge studies in Romanticism. 75. Cambridge University Press. p. 220. ISBN 0-521-88402-0.
- Ashbee, Henry Spencer (1877). Index Librorum Prohibitorum: being Notes Bio- Biblio- Icono- graphical and Critical, on Curious and Uncommon Books. London: privately printed. p. 241.
- BL MS Add.38,807.
- William White, ed. (1980). "'The Rodiad': Authorship and date". The Book Collector. The Collector Ltd. 29: 429–430.
- Nelson (2000) p.354
- Godsall, Jon R. (2008). The Tangled Web: A Life of Sir Richard Burton. Troubador Publishing Ltd. p. 193. ISBN 1-906510-42-3.
- Hammill, Faye (2009). "John Glassco, Canadian erotica and the 'Lying Chronicle'". In Anctil, Pierre; Loiselle, Andre; Rolfe, Christopher. Canada exposed. Canadian Studies. 20. Peter Lang. p. 286. ISBN 90-5201-548-1.
- Nelson, James G. (2000). Publisher to the Decadents: Leonard Smithers in the Careers of Beardsley, Wilde, Dowson. Pennsylvania State University Press. ISBN 0-271-01974-3.
|This article related to a poem is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pornography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|