|Slogan||Transit with a view|
|Parent||Town of Jackson|
|Locale||Teton County, Wyoming|
|Service area||Teton County, Wyoming, Teton County, Idaho, Lincoln County, Wyoming|
|Service type||Transit bus|
|Daily ridership||2,450 (2013 average)|
|Fuel type||Diesel, Diesel-electric hybrid|
|Operator||Town of Jackson|
|Chief executive||Michael Wackerly, Transit Director|
START Bus (Southern Teton Area Rapid Transit) is a public bus system serving Jackson, Wyoming, and nearby areas including Teton Village, Star Valley and Teton Valley, Idaho. It is owned and operated by the Town of Jackson with funding from local, county, and federal governments.
START Bus was founded in 1987 to provide transportation for skiers between downtown Jackson and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Teton Village. Today, in addition to transporting skiers to the ski resort, it serves commuters and provides bus service within the town of Jackson.
START does not currently serve the Jackson Hole Airport. The Town of Jackson instead offers free parking in its downtown parking garage and an $8 shuttle operated by Alltrans through a partnership called Ride2Fly. This program ended December 1st, 2015, leaving no public transportation option to and from the Jackson Hole Airport.
START operates 8 bus routes during the peak winter season including 4 routes between the Town of Jackson and the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Teton Village. In the spring, summer and fall, START operates 4 routes with only one route to Teton Village.
- Town Shuttle A – Service within Jackson city limits. Operates every half-hour year-round.
- Town Shuttle B – Service in the core of Jackson along Snow King Avenue. Operates every half-hour year-round.
- Town Shuttle L – Late night service from the Town Square to residential neighborhoods. Operates half-hourly weekend nights during peak seasons.
- Green Line – Early morning and late night service between Jackson and Teton Village in the winter and all day service in the spring, summer and fall.
- Blue Line – Winter daytime service between Jackson and Teton Village.
- Red Line – Winter daytime service between East Jackson and Teton Village.
- Yellow Line – Winter daytime service between Jackson and Teton Village.
- North Route – Winter and summer daytime service between Jackson and the National Museum of Wildlife Art
- Teton Valley – Year-round weekday commuter service over Teton Pass between Jackson and Driggs with stops at Wilson and Victor
- Star Valley – Year-round weekday commuter service between Jackson and Etna with stops at Hoback and Alpine
START Buses are free within Jackson City Limits and between the Teton Village Transit Center at Stilson Ranch and Teton Village. From Jackson to Teton Village the fare is $3 each way, reduced to $1 for travel exclusively on Moose Wilson Road. The commuter routes are $8 each way. Multi-ride and monthly passes are available and many employers provide free or reduced passes to their employees.
START's fleet consists of 35 buses.
|Number in Fleet||Year||Manufacturer||Model||Passenger Capacity||Propulsion||Fleet Series||Notes|
|8||2009-2015||Gillig||40 ft. Low Floor||39||Diesel||201-207, 210||Equipped with Wi-Fi|
|4||2009, 2011||Gillig||29 ft Low Floor||26||Hybrid||272-273, 276-277||First hybrid buses in Wyoming. Equipped with Wi-Fi|
|4||Gillig||40 ft Phantom||39||Diesel||251-254||Purchased used in 2015 from ECO Transit. Equipped with Wi-Fi|
|10||2003-2006||Blue Bird||35 ft Xcel 102||37||Diesel||274-275, 289-295||Equipped with Wi-Fi|
|3||2005, 2008||Blue Bird||40 ft Xcel 102||44||Diesel||297-299||Equipped with Wi-Fi|
|1||2007||Motor Coach Industries||D4500||57||Diesel||1600||Operates commuter routes|
|1||2009||Motor Coach Industries||D4500||55||Diesel||1700||Operates commuter routes|
- "About START". START Bus. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Rider Info". START Bus. Retrieved March 23, 2013.