The Spoiler (novel)
First edition cover of the 2011 hardback
|Publisher||Harvill Secker (UK),
|2 May 2011 (UK),
April 10, 2012 (USA)
|Media type||Print (Hardback & e-book)|
|Pages||320 pp (first edition, hardback)|
|ISBN||1846554357 (first edition, hardback)|
The Spoiler is a 2011 dark comedy novel written by British author Annalena McAfee. The novel was first published by Harvill Secker on 2 May 2011, with Knopf republishing the book in the United States on April 10, 2012.
The Spoiler is set in London during the 1990s and follows two female newspaper employees. Honor Tait is an eighty-year-old seasoned veteran while Tamara Sim is a new graduate that puts together lists for a gossip newspaper. Tamara is sent to interview Honor, with the intent to dish on her personal life. However the elderly woman is known for being tricky and isn't willing to give up her private details without a fight. As the two women clash and each paper is out to get the highest amount of sales, the stakes get higher and more desperate.
Reviews for The Spoiler have been mostly positive, with the London Evening Standard stating that the novel was "strikingly entertaining". The New York Times positively reviewed the book, calling it "spirited if at times heavy-handed". The Independent and Guardian both praised the novel, with the Guardian remarking that it was a "witty and entertaining debut about two very different worlds of journalism". Entertainment Weekly gave The Spoiler a B+ rating, with NPR calling it "satisfying". The Globe and Mail also positively reviewed The Spoiler.
- Fannin, Victoria (4 Apr 2011). "When Martha met Bridget". The Irish Times. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Frostrup, Mariella (21 Apr 2011). "Open Book: Annalena McAfee Spoiler interview". BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "THE SPOILER by Annalena McAfee (Knopf)". New Yorker. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Lopate, Leonard. "Annalena McAfee on Her Novel, The Spoiler". Leonard Lopate Show. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "The Spoiler". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Silverman, Laura (14 April 2011). "THE SPOILER BY ANNALENA MCAFEE". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Sands, Sarah (31 March 2011). "The Spoiler is a strikingly entertaining and accomplished novel". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Kakutani, Michiko (2012-05-28). "Journalism, Old and New, Entangled on the Web". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Evans, David (29 January 2012). "The Spoiler, By Annalena McAfee". The Independent. London. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Clark, Alex (22 April 2011). "The Spoiler by Annalena McAfee – review". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Groskop, VIV (10 April 2011). "The Spoiler, By Annalena McAfee". The Independent. London. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Greenblatt, Leah (Apr 13, 2012). "The Spoiler (2012)". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Hardymon, Barry. "Lesser-Known Lit: Seeking Summer's Hidden Gems". NPR. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- McLauren, Leah (Jun 8, 2012). "Spare the media? But dear, you'd spoil the sendups!". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
|This article about a 2010s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.