University of Georgia (Tbilisi)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
University of Georgia (Tbilisi) logo
|Motto||Libertas, Humanitas, Excellentia|
Motto in English
|Freedom, Humanity, Excellence|
|President||Prof. Giuli Alasania|
77, M. Kostava str, 0171,
- 1 Mission / Vision
- 2 History
- 3 Study in Georgia
- 3.1 The Schools (Faculties) of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi)
- 4 Internationalization
- 5 Career Services
- 6 University Life
- 7 Research and Academic Achievements
- 8 Programs for International Students
- 9 Admission
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Mission / Vision
Located in Tbilisi, in the country of Georgia, the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) (UG) is one of the largest private universities in the country of Georgia, with more than 6000 local and international students. The University has accredited programs on three levels of higher education (Bachelor, Master and PhD) in Georgian and English languages.
UG is distinguished by the disciplined educational process and modern infrastructure, enabling its students to acquire quality education and practical skills. For this reason the University is in leading ranks of national, regional, and global educational institutions, and is well-known to be dedicated to professional and personal growth of every student. Thus the graduates of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) always benefit from superior employment prospects.
Offering thought provoking and diverse set of disciplines, UG is the place where knowledge is created and acquired. The academic personnel of the University is staffed with highly qualified, well-experienced and creative professionals dedicated to teaching creatively and with enthusiasm, helping raise young professionals with demonstrated commitment to the public.
UG is proud of its diverse community with cross cultural awareness. Its multicultural environment shapes intelligent, educated individuals with human values capable to meet modern challenges. The objective of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi), being one of the leading universities, is to encourage the personal development of each student and mold her/him as a highly qualifies professional.
The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) was founded in 2004 under the name of "Georgian University of Social Sciences". The University Founders were doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Giuli Alasania, and doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Manana Sanadze.
From 2005 through 2007 the university developed and grew significantly. Masters programs were added to the Bachelors Programs during these years. By 2007 the university had already received its first PhD program students. In 2010, for the first time in the post-Soviet era, the United States Agency OPIC (Overseas Private Investment Corporation) invested multimillion dollars in the development of the university's infrastructure.
Study in Georgia
The Schools (Faculties) of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi)
- The School of Arts and Humanities
- The School of law
- The School of Social Sciences
- The School of Informatics, Engineering and Mathematics
- The School of Health Sciences and Public Health
- The School of Business, Economics and Management
The School of Arts and Humanities
The School of Arts and Humanities was founded in 2005 and it has become a leader in its fields of study. The School consists of three departments:
- The Department of Philology and European Languages
- The Department of History and Asian Studies
- The Department of Archeology, Anthropology and Art
The School offers certificate courses in various languages and preparation courses for national entry examinations and national Master’s entry examinations. The School organizes national and international scientific conferences and actively participates in scientific research work.
The School of Arts and Humanities has complete and contemporary resources to deliver a high standard of education. In particular: it has the best academic personnel, has defined and accredited educational programs, has classrooms and language labs equipped with modern technologies, has international contacts, provides the opportunity for students to participate in international exchange programs, provides the opportunity for students to put theory in practice through internships, and most important – has a constant desire to maintain and improve this high quality of education.
- Oriental Studies;
- English Philology;
- History (Georgia, World);
- Georgian Philology;
- English Philology (in English);
- Architecture and Design;
- English Program in Architecture and Design.
- English Philology;
- Cultural and Social Anthropology;
- History of Georgia;
- Education Administration (in English).
- Cultural and Social Anthropology;
- English Philology.
- A few example resources
- The Language Laboratory is designed for 150 students to work simultaneously, is equipped with modern programs for language teaching, and serves in the development of English and eastern languages by applying specially-designed linguistic programs.
- The Hall of Iran is equipped with modern learning and scientific literature regarding the Iran Islam Republic. It also offers students the opportunity to watch Iranian TV channels, arranged through the embassy of the Iran Islam Republic. The purpose of the Hall is to allow students to acquire knowledge about Iran as a country and gradually excel in terms of the Persian Language skills.
- The Archaeological Exhibition - Museum – the UG Archaeological Exhibition has the status of University Museum where artifacts discovered by the Samshvilde archeological expedition and others are preserved and prepared for exposition. At the same time, the Exhibition is used by students of appropriate specialties to develop professional skills (research, handling of materials, preparation of appropriate texts, documentation, cataloging, organizing exhibitions) as well as promoting and enhancing other professional and practical skills.
- The Samshvilde Archaeological Expedition is equipped with the latest European and American archaeological equipment and provides all the conditions and instruction necessary for compliance with recognized academic archaeological field and laboratory work in conducting scientific research of the Samshvilde Nakalakevi.
- The International Center of Archaeology - The center is equipped with the latest European and American archaeological equipment and provides all the conditions and instruction necessary for compliance with recognized academic archaeological field and laboratory work in conducting scientific research, as well as organizes tours to the archaeological sites explored by the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) in Samshvilde and various other archaeological sites within and without Georgia.
The School of law
Established in 2005, the School of Law of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) offers accredited BA, MA and PhD programs. The primary teaching process is distinguished by its education based on general and specific instruction, case law teaching, as well as simulated trials and appeals. The program is replenished with English subjects. The teaching methods are primarily focused on developing professional skills for the practice of law, with advanced study in advanced theory. A wide range of subjects complies with the students’ interests in the fields of public, private, criminal and international law.
The academic staff of School of Law is a team of successful professionals and lecturers. They are motivated and ready to share their knowledge and practical and academic experience with their students in order to achieve success. The graduates of School of Law are distinguished by their sense of responsibility and ethical standards of their profession.
Starting in September 2016, the School of Law launched the International Business Law (IBL) program, which is the first of its kind in Georgia.
The IBL program provides competitive and highly-qualified legal professionals, equipped with the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical legal skills based on the requirements of international and local labor markets. The program focuses on IBL and is two year in duration.
- International Business Law (English)
- Some resources
The School of Law is home to the TOLES Legal English Centre Georgia. The Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) is an international exam, based in the UK, which assesses a legal practitioner’s knowledge of practical English language skills. UG is the only TOLES test center in the Caucasus region. Legal English is an important part of the School of Law’s curriculum; all bachelor students must take four semesters of English and one semester of Legal English.
The School of Law of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is proud of the Free Legal Aid Clinic, which provides free legal advice, advocacy and membership in conducting cases in legal and administrative centers. The practice for law school students is mandatory, which shows that the development of students practical skills is important for the university and thus, appropriate environment is created. At the time of study, the student meets a real client and gives a legal consultation with the trainer-lawyer, and performs the representation in the court. In case of successful completion of the practice, the student will be able to work in the same clinic.
Besides the practical one, the law school also focuses on the scientific-research component. The Georgian, German and International Criminal Law Institute conducts research at the school, offers regular workshops, public lectures, scientific conferences and competitions in moot court processes. The aim of the Institute is to promote the development of criminal dogmatism and practice. Due to this fact, its activities are not limited to pure theoretical studies, but they are given adequate attention to practical problems in material or formal criminal law.
A simulation Courtroom allows students to receive hands on, practical experience of a courtroom. The School of Law offers summer schools for various courses such as criminal law, private law, public law, etc.
The School of Social Sciences
The School of Social Sciences was founded in 2004. Its aim is to understand, analyze and comprehend the social sciences. All the offered subjects are based on international experience, incorporating the latest audio-video materials and technical equipment; the media center and TV-studio helps students to apply knowledge in practice. The lectures are led by qualified political scientists, journalists, diplomats, psychologists and the competent representatives of the different fields of social life. The diversity of the program components and the integration of sociology, international law or economics provide the students with multilateral development.
- Political Science
- International Relations
- Public Relations
- International Relations
- Public Relations and Advertising
- Applied Psychology
- Political Science
- Mass Communication
- Analytical Center of International Policy - An analytical online resource where analyzing current political and international events and its results are reflected in interactive map.
- Center for Psychological Services and Analysis - The center is provided with individual counseling and therapy, group therapy, telephone psychological assistance, target-themed trainings, social-psychological studies and publications. The center offers psychology students opportunity to engage in various types of activities and acquire professional and practical skills.
- Library and Resource Center for Study of Ethnicity and Multiculturalism - The Resource Center aims to provide academic support for students as well as experienced researchers and encouraging researches in the direction of ethno-politics and nation-building problems. The library contains unique materials, ancient and recent literature, which is an important resource for political decision makers, human rights defenders, international organizations and other interested individuals.
- UG PR Consulting - The students undergo training, conduct PR research and develop strategies for companies monthly.
- Media Center is intended for journalism and public relations program students, where they are able to perform practical tasks and develop professional skills.
- UG TV Studio is a TV studio equipped with modern multimedia technologies, where programs are regularly conducted by students and professors. UG TV is an exclusive resource of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) and allows students to prepare programs, carry out their own ideas, explore audio and video editing and develop professional skills required by the labor market, which ensures their successful career in the media business.
The School of Informational Technologies
The School of Informational Technologies, Engineering and Mathematics aims to train competitive, highly qualified specialists in the field of informational and computer technologies, electronic and computer engineering, and exact and natural science, who will have higher education and practical skills that comply with modern market requirements. It is important to integrate and implement modern educational programs that are focused on the problem solving in this rapidly developing field of informational and computer technologies.
The educational programs are developed based on the analysis and experience of similar programs at leading foreign universities. IT programs comprise the courses delivered by international certifying courses of Microsoft, Oracle and Cisco Academies provided by certified staff. The School has modern and well equipped Labs, including Computer Labs, Cisco Net Labs and Engineering Labs.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering; (Geo/Eng);
- English Bachelor Program in Engineering;
- Informational Technologies;
- English Bachelor Program in Information Technology.
- Informational technologies;
- Applied Sciences;
- English Master’s Program in Information Technology.
- Computer Technologies;
- Exact, Natural and Computer Sciences.
- The Oracle Academy - The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is the first educational institution which established the cooperation with the Oracle Corporation and implemented the Oracle Academy. On the basis of the Oracle Academy, technologies of Oracle had been integrated to the Bachelor and Master’s programme in IT. Students will have the opportunity to learn for free of charge Oracle courses and obtain the certificates.
- Cisco Academy - The Cisco Academy Program is integrated to the University program and students have the opportunity to learn other modules by passing the Cisco exams and take the CCNA certificate for free of charge. All interested individuals, obtained the education in this field are welcomed to learn the abovementioned course at LAB leaded by highly qualified mentors.
- Microsoft It Academy - The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is the first educational institution which is involved in the Microsoft IT Academy program. It gives the opportunity to use all Microsoft products and get the information about newly launched and processing programs. The program involves integration of new technologies and methods in the programs offered by UG. Students are welcomed to obtain different types of certificates after passing the online exams of Microsoft for free of charge.
- MikroTik Academy - The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is the first educational institution which established the cooperation with the MikroTik Corporation. Collaboration involves the short and long term activities.
UG Lemondo Training Center - offers full courses of mobile application development. UG Lemondo training center is unique in terms of learning, since the process is simultaneously enhanced by a higher education institution and leading development company.UG Lemondo training center is focused on market requirements and provides the opportunity for not only theoretical, but also practical education.
- UG Limes Robotics Academy - is the only academy in Georgia that enables bachelor's and master's students of electrical and electronic engineering, mathematics and computer science to conduct their own research and to teach to school children. UG-LIMES is one of the main organizations in Georgia, which defines STEM, programming and robotics learning policy.
The School of Health Sciences and Public Health
The School of Health Sciences and Public Health was founded in 2005. The educational programs are established with the contribution of Georgian healthcare experts. The study program was developed by Georgian and foreign specialists and universities of Scranton, Central Florida and Tromsø, Norway.
The School of Health Sciences and Public Health gives an opportunity to deliver teaching and research process using innovative methods and a wide range of options applying modern medicine into practice. The School is a member of European Public Health Association (EUPHA) and represents Georgia. It is a member of American Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA).
- Health Care Administration
- Health Care Administration
- Pharmacy Management Program
- Pharmacy Program
- Public Health
- Dental Program in English
- English Program of Medical Education
- Simulation Hospital - is equipped with modern medical-teaching stimulators as well as medical and multi-functional moulages. In this real-life environment students master following practical skills: patient care, injections, peripheral venous catheterization, bladder catheterization, draining, pulmonary and cardiac auscultation, wound treatment, emergency rescue, etc.
- Anatomy, Biochemistry and Microbiology Labs - are equipped with the moulages, necessary for teaching topics, the optics and chemical agents, soils, tools, installations for the performance and understanding the necessary processes.
- Dental Simulation Laboratory - is the dentistry simulation practical laboratory where modern methods for developing practical skills are used. The students familiarize themselves with all the important aspects of dental service on special moulages; the students work at the multi-profile dental table and devices that enable them to gain practical skills in the following areas: therapeutic, orthopedic, surgical and orthodontic dentistry. The laboratory is formed based on the experience of the University of Thompson and its quality gives it the top rating in the region.
- Simulation Pharmacy - is the simulation base of pharmacy program, where theoretical knowledge can be practically demonstrated. Here are being done and reviewed the situational assignments and clinical cases are conducted and reviewed at the simulation pharmacy, conducted through role-playing (Pharmacist-patient, pharmacist-doctor-patient, pharmacist-doctor-health care specialist, etc.). The Students design pharmaceutical case, comprising medical therapy, medical goods, knowledge and use of pharmaceutical computer programs. The program provides understanding and evaluation of pharmaceutical case.
- Reavita UG – aims at improvement of patient’s health conditions and ensures achievement of functional independence by means of various restorative and recreational procedures performed by qualified professionals. The clinic provides students with an opportunity to obtain practical knowledge in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Reavita UG entails the following functions: rehabilitation – recreation; diagnostic –treatment; education through certification programs.
The School of Economics, Business and Management
The School of Economics, Business and Management was founded in 2004 and has become one of the most popular and leader centers in business and public administration field in Georgia. The School aims at developing the skills, vital in the modern business world: the art of negotiation, making connections, developing business plans, marketing and effective economic decision making. The skills gained enable students to reach professional goals.
- Business Administration ( Marketing and Banking, Accounting and Audit, Management)
- Public Administration
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Business Administration
The School has a computer laboratory, where modern accounting, financial and statistical software programs are available. The school also incorporates simulation program of strategic management “The Business Strategy Game”, which gives an opportunity to make strategic decisions in the simulation environment.
Teaching materials in the courses taught at the School of Business, Economics and Management are based on scientific researches and achievements. Guide books, including Pearson and McGraw Hill materials are available for all UG students and professors. The library provides the electronic resources of Cambridge Journals, HBR, EBSCO, JSTOR as well.
Being that the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is member of the Bologna Process, it is recognized worldwide. The English language programs of the University are recognized by the official structures of various countries as well as international organizations.
In 2017, the university received International Accreditation of the Medical Council of India (MCI).
The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is the institutional member of Ceeman (International Association for Management Development in Dynamic Societies) since 2016 and works with it on International Accreditation of Business, Economics and Management School.
The University of Georgia (Tbilisi) holds the accreditation of the Ministry of Education of Iran.
The Law School of the University of Georgia (Tbilisi) is member of the International Association of Law Schools since 2016.
The University cooperates with the European and US leading universities and offers exchange programs at various European universities to the students for one semester or a year. Thus the university has exchange programs within the individual cooperation, Erasmus Plus. 
The office of career services regularly offers trainings to students to improve skills necessary for career development. In order to promote student employment, job fairs on campus are held several times a year, where leading companies and the representatives of public sector take part.
The University of Georgia offers an innovative approach to student life, whereby students are encouraged to unite around a common interest to come up with and receive funding for creative projects that contribute to availability of various adventurous and thought-provoking activities - making UG reputable for well organized, exciting and memorable student life.
UG provides a supportive learning environment, motivates intellectually and provides opportunities for personal and professional growth through availability of tangible opportunities to apply learning beyond the classroom through multiple life experiences, network among field practitioners, attend special events, meet incredible people and simply have some fun - all in all generating once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and unforgettable memories.
Research and Academic Achievements
The University of Georgia has Scientific Institute and the Department of Academic Personnel Development and Research Projects Management, which is dedicated to scientific development of the university and university’s academic personnel.
In 2017 UG Professor Giorgi Tephnadze was awarded with Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation Award "Best Young Scientist ".
The innovation center –UG Startup Factory offers students unique opportunity to come up with interesting business ideas and supports them in bringing these ideas into fruition. The University of Georgia offers an investment fund to finance these startups.
UG Startup Factory works with local and international incubators and accelerators through promoting and supporting interesting projects. The innovation center partners with major private companies and banks worldwide.
Startup Factory also entails the Technology Transfer Center, which provides assistance to commercialize innovative ideas of the local startups.
Programs for International Students
- English Philology
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Business Administration (Marketing and Banking, Accounting and Audit, Management)
- Education Administration
- International Business Law
- Business Administration
- Dental Program
- Medical Education
The citizens of Georgia should successfully pass Unified National Entrance Examinations. Foreign high-school graduates who received complete general education abroad or its equivalent and the last two years of complete general education had studied abroad or students who lived abroad for the last two or more years and who are currently studying abroad in higher educational institutions recognized by the legislation of the host countries will be able to enter the program without passing Uniform National Entrance Examinations according to Order №224/N of the Minister of Education and Science of Georgia (December 29, 2011).
- "Memorandum of Understanding Signed". Retrieved 22 March 2016.