University of Georgia (Tbilisi)
University of Georgia logo
|Motto||Libertas, Humanitas, Excellentia|
|President||Prof. Giuli Alasania Prof. Manana Sanadze|
Mission / Vision
The mission of the university is to expand boundaries and educate a person, which will support the development of a healthy, human and democratic society through professional activities or scientific achievements based on the hard work and honesty, for the goodwill of the government and humankind in general.
- Become and maintain the status of the biggest and most demanded private university in the region.
- Become the most innovative university: a university, a research institution and a business organization.
- Make a significant contribution to the Caucasus region and beyond its borders to socio-economic development.
By the end of 2002, two professors from Tbilisi State University and Georgian Technical University, Giuli Alasania and Manana Sanadze, decided to set up a Center for American Studies that would offer the MA degree in American Studies.
The aim of the Center was to study and research the USA - one of the most successful countries in the world. Later on, similar Programs were offered in European studies. According to the wish of the MA students, the programs were developed in a way that made it possible for them to comprehend the studies of not only the USA or Europe in general, but also to gain the knowledge in the western management model for the various spheres of the social life: Public Administration, Business Administration, Management of Culture and Education, etc.:
On July 21, 2004, the School of Social Sciences, Ltd, was established on the basis of the Center. The same year - 2004, the partners decided to establish a higher educational institution, a university, based upon the School of Social Sciences. The institution was named Georgian University of Social Sciences.
In 2005 – 2007 the university grew considerably. Bachelor’s degree Programs were added on to Master’s Programs. The university enrolled its first undergraduate Program students in September, 2005. In the fall of 2006 the university started its first PhD Programs.
In 2007, after launching mathematics, IT and engineering programs Georgian University of Social Sciences was renamed as the University of Georgia (UG).
In 2009, The University of Georgia, in cooperation with the Government of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara, formed Batumi International University to serve the population of Western Georgia and to attract international students to Georgia.
In 2010 - for the first time in the post-Soviet space - OPIC (Overseas Private Investment Corporation, USA) financed the development of the University of Georgia in order to build the best educational infrastructure in the Caucasus region and bring its educational services in accordance with western standards.
In 2014, The University of Georgia celebrated its 10th anniversary. Throughout these past years, improvement of quality of education in Georgia has been one of the top priorities and in this framework, the aim of UG has always been to develop and accomplish high standards academic quality wise, as well as student life wise for the benefit of both Georgian and international students.
Today, the University of Georgia is the nation's leading private university, with the personal growth and professional development of its students as its main goal. Graduates of the university feel confidence and ready to enter the competitive job market.
Today, the university has the honor to offer its students modern facilities and the learning environment in which they can gain high quality education as well as practical experience. The knowledge and skills acquired at our university are a guarantee of a successful career not only in Georgia, but also in the international labor market.
Schools and Programs at UG
6 schools operate at the University of Georgia and they offer up to 50 academic programs on BA, MA and PhD levels. Schools operating at UG are:
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Law
- School of IT, Engineering and Mathematics
- School of Business, Economics and Management
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Humanities
Programs offered in Georgian
List of BA Programs:
• Political Science • Journalism • International Relations • Public Relations • Psychology • Business Administration (Marketing and Banking, Accounting and Audit, Management) • Tourism • Economics • Public Administration • Health Care Administration • Nursing • Law • IT • Electrical and Computer Engineering • Mathematics • Georgian Philology • English Philology • Oriental Studies • History • Art • Archaeology • Architecture
List of MA Programs:
• International Relations • Public Relations and Advertising • Law • Informational Technologies • Business Administration • Health Care Administration • Public Health and Healthcare Policy • Education Administration • History of Georgia • English Philology • German Philology • Cultural and Social Anthropology
List of PhD Programs:
• Cultural and Social Anthropology • English Philology • Political Science • Mass Communication • Law • Computer Technologies • Business Administration • Public Health
Programs offered in English
List of BA programs: • Business Administr.ation • Engineering / IT • Nursing • Pharmacy • International Business Law • English Philology
List of MA programs: • Business Administration
List of Single-Cycle programs: • Dentistry • Medicine
UG is involved in the Bologna process and is recognized both in Europe and in the US. The University of Georgia is a member of ENIC-NARIC. The University of Georgia carries out various international scientific-research projects, including: Tempus, Erasmus +, etc. The University of Georgia cooperates with the European and US leading universities and offers exchange programs at various European universities to the students for one semester or a year. Thus the University has exchange program within the individual cooperation, Erasmus Mundus and Erasmus +.
- University of Georgia, American public research university