The You Generation
|The You Generation|
|Created by||Simon Cowell|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production company(s)||YouTube, Base79, Syco Entertainment|
|Original release||20 March 2013 – 2014|
|You Generation YouTube||www
The You Generation is an online video-sharing competition launched by Simon Cowell in partnership with YouTube. It comprises a series of themed competitions where contestants can upload videos to win prizes. A new contest runs every two weeks with a grand prize at the end of the year. It was launched in 2013 featuring an interview with British boy band One Direction.
According to Cowell, The You Generation was created because "YouTube is the biggest video channel in the world, but real stars can get lost in the mix because there are more than 72 hours of footage uploaded every minute." The channel was started to search for "unconventional" and "original" people with "outstanding skills."
The You Generation consists of a series of themed competitions where contestants can compete to win a cash prize. The You Generation is available in 15 languages and 26 countries. A new contest runs every two weeks for a prize of $2000. The grand prize, to be awarded at the end of the year is $75,000. The contests are centred on themes like "male vocalist," "impressionist" or "stylist."
In 2014 Make-up Artist Joseph Harwood won the competition.
The You Generation YouTube Channel was launched in 2013 with a livestreamed interview of British boy band One Direction. Since then, celebrities such as Kimberly Wyatt and Demi Lovato have been featured on the channel.
NÜKO were responsible for the design of the channel. According to NÜKO associate director Emily Torjussen "They wanted something quite different, so it wasn’t to look like the X-Factor, as it isn’t on television, and it also needed to encourage participatory involvement. It’s playing on the idea of the audience building their own world of talent and has an almost home made look – stylish but not too perfect."
- Shaw, Lucas. "How Can YouTube Partners Make More Money? Ask Base79". The Wrap. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Busis, Hillary. "Simon Cowell's 'You Generation' launches today -- VIDEO". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Burke, Elaine. "Simon Cowell brings his talent show format to YouTube with The You Generation". Silicon Republic. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Walker, Louisa. "Simon Cowell Launches The You Generation". 4Music. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Simon Cowell launches global talent search The You Generation". Metro. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Simon Cowell, You Tube Launching ‘The You Generation’ Online Talent Contest". Billboard Biz. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Simon Cowell, YouTube Launching 'The You Generation' Talent Contest". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Cowell targets YouTube stars in new talent quest". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- BARNES, ANTHONY (28 February 2013). "The You Generation: Simon Cowell launches year-long global talent hunt via YouTube". Independent. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Welch, Chris. "Simon Cowell and YouTube launch 'The You Generation' global talent competition". The Verge. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "YouTube Original Channels". YouTube. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "You Generation". YouTube. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Banks, Tom. "NÜKO creates look for Simon Cowell's The You Generation". Design Week. Retrieved 23 August 2013.