The Young Adults
The Young Adults were an American rock quintet based in Providence, Rhode Island, United States. They were formed by vocalist/saxophone player Bruce McCrae (aka Rudy Cheeks), vocalist/drummer David Hansen (aka Sport Fisher), drummer Jimmy Whittle, piano player Jeff Shore, guitarist Ed Vallee, and bassist Roy Gilley in the early 1970s. Their songs, with such titles as "A Power Tool Is Not A Toy", "Do The Heimlich" and "Christmas In Japan In July", were often satirical. They were regular performers at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence and had a rather large following.
In 1979 they released the single "Complex World/Beer" on Genius Records. "Complex World" became a local hit getting airplay on local radio. They broke up shortly thereafter due to conflicts over band direction. David Hansen moved to New York and formed the no wave band Cool It Reba in 1981.
In 1987, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel was in danger of closing so owner Rich Lupo came up with an idea. Lupo's bartender Jim Wolpaw was nominated for an Oscar for a short film he had done, so they threw a benefit concert and filmed it and wrote a sub-plot about a club closing. In the process they got The Young Adults to reform to play a few shows at Lupo's in July 1987. The results were released as the film (It's A) Complex World (named after the Young Adults song) and The Young Adults' Helping Others album.
in April 2016 McCrae as (The Fabulous Motels/The Young Adults/Rudy Cheeks) was among the inductees who were brought into the Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame (RIMHOF).
- "Complex World/Beer", 1979, single, Genius Records
- Helping Others, 1988, album, Heartbreak Hits
- Side A
- "Complex World" (4:39)
- "A Power Tool Is Not a Toy" (4:12)
- "Beer" (3:04)
- "Summer Song" (3:45)
- "Men" (6:10)
- Side B
- "Meat Rampage" (4:58)
- "Christmas In Japan In July" (3:20)
- "Meeting Girls" (3:41)
- "New Deal" (3:57)
- "Drunken Celebrities" (5:42)
- Bruce McCrae (aka Rudy Cheeks) - vocals, saxophone, percussion
- David Hansen (aka Sport Fisher) - vocals, drums, guitar
- Jeff Shore - piano
- Ed Vallee - guitar
- Roy Gilley - bass
- Thom Enright - bass, guitar (died 2012)
- John Rufo - bass
- Tom Dequattro - drums (died 2013)
- Paul ILL - bass
- Jim Whittle - drums (died 2006)
- "Thom Enright". Thomenright.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Lennon, Sheila (21 February 2012). "Blues guitarist Thom Enright,59, dies of brain cancer". Providence Journal. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Scharfenberg, David (21 February 2012). "Enright Dies". Providence Phoenix. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- ChrisS. "GoLocalProv | Lifestyle | Herb Weiss: Abate Joins Exclusive Class of Musicians". GoLocalProv. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- Last.fm page, with downloadable tracks
- IMDB Complex World IMDB page
- Yahoo Groups Page Page dedicated to David Hansen
- Lupos Official site
- Western Caravan David Hansen is the vocalist for this New York Country/Western band
-  Official site for Thom Enright
- Ed Vallee Official site for Ed Vallee
- Steve Smith & The Nakeds Ed Vallee is the guitarist for this Rhode Island based band
- Yahoo Groups Page Page dedicated to The Young Adults