Thomas F. Gieryn
Thomas F. Gieryn (born 1950) is Rudy Professor of Sociology at Indiana University. He is also the Vice Provost of Faculty and Academic Affairs. In his research, he focuses on philosophy and sociology of science from a cultural, social, historical, and humanistic perspective. He is known for developing the concept of "boundary-work," that is, instances in which boundaries, demarcations, or other divisions between fields of knowledge are created, advocated, attacked, or reinforced. He has served on many councils and boards, including the Advisory Board of the exhibition on "Science in American Life" by the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.
- 1982, Edwin H. Sutherland Teaching Award, Department of Sociology, Indiana University
- 1994, President's Award for Distinguished Teaching, Indiana University
- 1990, Gingery won the Robert K. Merton Book Award from the Section on Science, Knowledge and Technology of the American Sociological Association.
- Gieryn, Thomas F. (1980). Patterns in the selection of problems for scientific research : American astronomers, 1950-75. [S.l.] OCLC 65769225.
- Merton, Robert (1980). Science and social structure : a festschrift for Robert K. Merton. Thomas F. Gieryn (ed.). New York N.Y.: New York Academy of Sciences. ISBN 978-0-89766-043-3.
- Merton, Robert King; Aaron. Rosenblatt; Thomas F. Gieryn (1982). Social research and the practicing professions. Cambridge, Mass.: Abt Books. ISBN 0-89011-569-9.
- Wagenaar, Theodore C.; Thomas F. Gieryn; Donald Light; Suzanne Infeld Keller; Craig J. Calhoun (1989). Readings and review for sociology, fifth edition. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 978-0-07-557130-8. ISBN 0-07-557130-7.
- Gieryn, Thomas F.; Susan E. Cozzens (1999). Theories of science in society. Science, technology, and society. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Books on Demand. ISBN 0-253-31471-2. OCLC 222846100.
- Gieryn, Thomas F. (1999). Cultural boundaries of science : credibility on the line. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-29261-4.
- Gieryn, Thomas F. (1983). "Boundary-work and the demarcation of science from non-science: strains and interests in professional ideologies of scientists". American Sociological Review. American Sociological Association. 48 (6): 781–795. doi:10.2307/2095325. JSTOR 2095325.
- "Thomas F. Gieryn". Indiana University Department of Sociology. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
|This biography of an American sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|