Thomas Newton Allen
|Thomas Newton Allen|
Thomas Newton Allen from his book Chronicles of Oldfields.
|Born||October 24, 1839
|Spouse||Harriet Frances (Stamps) Allen|
Thomas Newton Allen (born 1839) was a lawyer in Lexington, Kentucky. He moved to Olympia, Washington c1889, where he was a clerk and then a lawyer. He was friend to the state governor John H. McGraw. Allen is remembered today for writing a book, Chronicles of Oldfields in 1909, which is found on lists of books for those studying slavery in the United States.
Some of his correspondence is kept at Washington State University, Holland Library, Manuscripts, Archives & Special Collections, Allen, Thomas Newton. Papers, 1889–1893.
- 1880 United States Federal Census, United States Census, 1880; Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky; roll 413, page 336B, line 5, enumeration district 066, Family History film 1254413. Retrieved on 2012-02-16.
- Smiths Pacific Northwest Americana, Edition 3 (PDF). Portland Oregon: Bingfords and Mort, Oregon Historical Society. 1950. p. 5.
- Washington State and Territorial Censuses, 1857-1892, United States Census, 1889; Olympia, Thurston, Washington; page 1,. Retrieved on 2012-02-16.
- Washington State and Territorial Censuses, 1857-1892, United States Census, 1892; Olympia, Thurston, Washington; page 2,. Retrieved on 2012-02-16.
- Chronicles of Oldfields (PDF). Seattle, Washington: The Alice Harriman Company. 1909. p. introduction.
- Primary Source Microfilm, an imprint of the Gale Group. "Slavery, Source Material and Critical Literature". Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Washington State Genealogical Research Guide". Retrieved 2012-02-16.
Thomas Newton Allen and family were found on other censuses than were used for the article. The information is below for those interested:
- 1900 US Federal Census, year 1900; location Olympia Ward 5, Thurston, Washington; roll T624_1672; pages 10b and 11a; starting on line 99; enumdist 228.
- 1910 US Federal Census, year 1910; location Olympia, Thurston, Washington; roll T623 1752; page 2B; starting on line 81; enumdist 0307; Image 1072; FHL Number 1375685.