In the United States it refers to a board certified endocrinologist physician, who is either a full time academician with multiple responsibilities beside thyroid patient care, or a clinical thyroidologist. A clinical thyroidologist is a board certified endocrinologist, who cares for a majority of thyroid patients, with few patients experiencing other endocrine conditions. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) developed the ENDOCRINE CERTIFICATION IN NECK ULTRASOUND (ECNU) program. ECNU is a professional certification in the field of neck ultrasonography for Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, and Thyroidology practices who perform consultations and diagnostic evaluations for thyroid and parathyroid disorders through both diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (UGFNA). ECNU is seen as a distinguished certification, which increases public and patient confidence in thyroid ultrasound practice. These clinical thyroidologists are also interventional thyroid radiologists doing ablation therapy without surgery for thyroid and parathyroid cysts and recurrent neck thyroid cancer lymph nodes after prior surgeries failed. It is called Ethanol ablation EA, or PEI. They also do radio frequency, and echo ablation by HIFU for large solid symptomatic benign thyroid nodules.
Physicians and medical practices whom hold the distinction of Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) professional certification are highly specialized thyroidologist. in the field of neck ultrasonography for physicians who perform consultations and diagnostic evaluations for thyroid and parathyroid disorders through both diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (UGFNA).
- "Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) Program | American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists". www.aace.com. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- Thyrodologists - Experts in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid Disease
- Thyroid Top Doctors - United States and International Website on which patients can recommend thyroid specialists
- Find a thyroid specialist - page from the American Thyroid Association Website on which doctors can recommend themselves as thyroid specialists
- Board Certified Endocrinologist / Thyroidology (ECNU) - Thyroidology Physicians Specialized in complex Thyroid Disorders and Parathyroid Disorders