Tim Keating (soldier)
Major General Keating in 2011
||New Zealand Army|
|Years of service||1982–present|
|Commands held||Chief of the Defence Force (2014–18)
Vice Chief of Defence Force (2012–14)
Chief of Army (2011–12)
2nd Land Force Group (2007–09)
CRIB 6 (2005)
Officer Cadet School (2001–04)
1st New Zealand Special Air Services Group (1999–01)
|Battles/wars||Multinational Force and Observers
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit
Commander of the Legion of Merit (United States)
Lieutenant General Tim Keating, MNZM is a New Zealand Army officer and the current Chief of the New Zealand Defence Force. He was appointed to this position immediately following his tenure as Vice Chief of Defence Force. He served as Chief of Army from 2011 to 2012.
Keating was promoted to lieutenant general and took over as Chief of Defence Force (CDF) for a three-year term on 1 February 2014. On 3 April 2018 Keating announced he will be stepping down as CDF on the completion of his term on 30 June. Keating did not give a reason for his resignation, but said he was not standing down due to the allegations about Operation Burnham in 2010 which was the subject of the book Hit & Run. Keating will be succeeded as CDF by Air Vice Marshal Kevin Short.
- "Chief of Defence Force: Lieutenant General Timothy (Tim) Keating, MNZM". NZDF. 26 May 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "Major-General Keating named Chief of Defence". The New Zealand Herald. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "New Chief of Defence Force announced". TVNZ. 10 December 2013. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Tim Keating to stand down as head of the New Zealand Defence Force". Stuff.co.nz. 3 April 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "Air Vice-Marshal Kevin Short is the new chief of the Defence Force". Stuff.co.nz. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tim Keating (soldier).|
Lieutenant General Rhys Jones
|Chief of Defence Force
Rear Admiral Jack Steer
|Vice Chief of Defence Force
Air Vice Marshal Kevin Short
Major General Rhys Jones
|Chief of Army
Major General Dave Gawn