Tim Rishton is a classical concert musician, author and broadcaster, known as an advocate for the natural musical qualities of pre-1800 keyboard music and as an innovative thinker regarding music in “ordinary” (non-cathedral) churches.
Rishton’s organ concerts have a particularly large following in Germany and Norway (though he plays throughout Europe and occasionally in the United States), while his books and other writings (including a couple of dozen articles in both refereed and popular-academic journals) have been published largely in the USA, Britain and Norway. He has recorded a number of CDs, particularly of early music.
Born in a moorland village in the Pennines of Northern England, Timothy John Rishton studied in the 1980s with the Austrian organist Susi Jeans and at Reading, Manchester and Bangor universities, being awarded a Ph D in 18th-century music. He taught music at the university of Wales through the medium of Welsh (and was also Director of Music at the Collegiate Church in Holyhead) before moving to Norway where he became Associate Professor of Music at University College Tromsø, music officer for the Diocese of North-Hålogaland and leader of a course centre at Soltun Folkehøgskole.
Tim Rishton believes that music belongs in the community and therefore prefers to give concerts in villages rather than in city concert halls. He also regards music as a non-competitive activity and does not participate in competitions.
Most of his published work is written in Norwegian, and he is currently engaged on a history of music before 1800 for a Norwegian publisher. Since 2005 he has also been Director of Studies in Continuing Music Education at Lancaster University, England.
- Tim Rishton, Joyful Noise? The Why, What and How of music in church. Foreword by former Archbishop George Carey. Skipton: Holy Trinity Press, 2006
- Tim Rishton, Liturgisk orgelspill. Stavanger: Cantando, 1996
- List of publications and CDs on official website (http://www.rishton.info/)
- International Who's Who in Music (11th edition) (Cambridge, 1988), p.774
- Biographical note on cover of Liturgisk Orgelspill (Stavanger: Cantando, 1996)
- Biographical article in Romsdals Budstikke 19 August 1995, 16-17
- Biographical article in Åndalsnes Avis, 5 February 1994, 8-9
- official website (http://www.rishton.info/)