Tim Wood (baseball)
Wood pitching for the Marlins
November 16, 1982 |
|June 25, 2009, for the Florida Marlins|
|Last MLB appearance|
|July 1, 2011, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|Earned run average||4.50|
Wood was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 21st round of the 2001 Major League Baseball Draft out of Sabino High School, but did not sign. He was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 44th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft out of Pima Community College.
Wood was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 44th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft out of Pima Community College. He was brought up to the majors on June 4, 2009, but was optioned back to the minors on June 7 without appearing in a game. The Marlins called him up once again on June 21. Wood made his major league debut June 25, 2009, pitching 2 scoreless innings against the Baltimore Orioles. The first batter he faced, Robert Andino, lined out to second base.
The Pittsburgh Pirates signed Wood in April 2011. On June 10, 2011, the Pirates purchased Wood's contract. He was designated for assignment on August 12, after making 13 appearances, recording a 5.63 ERA in eight innings. He was traded to the Texas Rangers on August 18, in exchange for cash considerations.
Return to the Pirates
In November 2011, Wood signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 54 games for the Pirates' Triple-A affiliate Indianapolis, Wood had a 2.19 ERA with 21 saves while striking out 67 in 70 innings.
On November 10, 2012, Wood was reported to be close to a deal with the Cleveland Indians. Later the same day, he signed a minor league deal with the Minnesota Twins with an invitation to spring training and is expected to make the team. The club then signed him to a 1-year, $675,000 deal to avoid losing him in the Rule 5 Draft. He was released on August 28, 2013.
- "June 25, 2009 Baltimore Orioles @ Florida Marlins Box Score". June 25, 2009.
- "Nationals Sign Tim Wood". November 14, 2010.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (March 31, 2011). "Nationals Release Bisenius, Wood, Van Every".
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (March 31, 2011). "Pirates Sign Tim Wood".
- "Evan Meek placed on disabled list; Pirates select contract of pitcher Tim Wood". MLB.com. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben. "Pirates Designate Tim Wood For Assignment". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Mennella, Dan. "Rangers Acquire Tim Wood From Pirates". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- Williams, Tim (November 1, 2011). "Pirates Sign Tim Wood".
- Bollinger, Rhett (November 10, 2012). "Twins sign reliever Wood, catcher Fryer to Minors deals". MLB.com.