History of public transport authorities in Manchester
(Redirected from Timeline of public passenger transport operations in Manchester)
The history of public transport authorities in Manchester details the various organisations that have been responsible for the public transport network in and around Manchester, England, since 1824.
- On 1 January 1824, the first horse bus service started by John Greenwood (I), the proprietor of the Pendleton Toll Gates
- On 1 March 1865, the Manchester Carriage Company was formed which brought together a number of horse bus operators in the Manchester area.
- In 1880 this became the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Company with some further consolidation, including the Manchester Suburban Tramways Company.
- On 7 June 1901, Manchester Corporation Tramways Department started electric tram operations, as the public operation. The former Carriage Company was wound up in 1903
- In 1929 the name was changed to Manchester Corporation Transport Department to reflect the changing to motor buses
- In mid-1966 the name of this public operation was changed to Manchester City Transport
- On 1 November 1969, control of MCT and other surrounding council transport departments were transferred to South East Lancashire North East Cheshire PTE, or SELNEC PTE
- On 1 April 1974, the operating name became Greater Manchester Transport, and its coverage was expanded.
- During 1974 the new operating name for the authority was adapted to GMPTE: Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive. This lasted until 2011.
- On 27 February 1986, this operation was separated from public ownership, and became Greater Manchester Buses Limited.
- On 13 December 1993, GMBL was further split to GMB North Ltd, and GMB South Ltd, on an approximate geographic basis. Just under 4 months later they were sold to employee buy out teams
- In February 1996, GMB South was sold to Stagecoach Group, becoming Stagecoach Manchester.
- In March 1996, GMB North was sold to First Bus, eventually becoming First Greater Manchester.
- In April 2011. GMPTE became TfGM; Transport for Greater Manchester.
- A Short History of Public Transport in Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester Transport Society, archived from the original on 10 November 2010, retrieved 18 July 2010