Toby C Thatcher (born 28 January 1989) is an Australian-British conductor.
Thatcher is Artistic Director of the Nineteenth Circle, a group of 19th Century-specialist performers committed to diversifying the voice within classical music programming, and representing a fuller spectrum of coetaneous human experience in order to enhance the canon", and Founder & Director of Zeitgeist, an online multimedia gallery & commissioner of contemporary work.
Between April 2015 and December 2017, he was Assistant Conductor of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. In 2019 Thatcher won second prize at the International Competition of Young Conductors Lovro von Matačić. In 2015, he won third prize at the Sir Georg Solti International Conductors' Competition (see Georg Solti) for conducting Strauss's Don Juan and Dvořák's Carnival Overture in front of the hr-Sinfonieorchester and Frankfurter Opern- und Museumsorchester. In August 2015, Thatcher was joint winner of the inaugural Neeme Järvi Prize at the Menuhin Festival. Thatcher has worked with various international ensembles, including the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, Sinfonieorchester Basel and Ensemble Modern.
In 2014, Thatcher graduated from the Royal Academy of Music with an MA, where he studied as an oboist. During his studies, Thatcher played with orchestras such as the Philharmonia Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the London Sinfonietta and the Australian Youth Orchestra.
- "Toby takes up the SSO baton". Australian Major Performing Arts Group (AMPAG). 14 April 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Toby Thatcher". Nineteenth Circle. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "Toby Thatcher". Zeitgeist. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "DAVID MOLARD SORIANO ET TOBY THATCHER SONT NOMMÉS CHEFS ASSISTANTS DE L'ORCHESTRE NATIONAL DE FRANCE POUR LA SAISON 2020–2021".
- Boon, Maxim (10 April 2015). "Toby Thatcher named Assistant Conductor of Sydney Symphony". Limelight. Arts Illuminated Pty Ltd. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Kembrey, Melanie (9 April 2015). "Toby Thatcher appointed Sydney Symphony Orchestra assistant conductor". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Toby Thatcher". Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Toby Thatcher". Menuhin Festival Gstaad. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "PLUG 7 – Ensemble Modern does Plug". Ensemble Modern. 5 May 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Toby Thatcher". Helpmann Awards. Retrieved 21 June 2016.