Todos Santos Cuchumatán
Todos Santos Cuchumatán
Horse races in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
|Municipality||Todos Santos Cuchumatán|
|• Municipality||269 km2 (104 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,500 m (8,200 ft)|
|Highest elevation||3,828 m (12,559 ft)|
|• Ethnicities||Mam Ladino|
|• Religions||Roman Catholicism Evangelicalism Maya|
Todos Santos Cuchumatán (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈtoðos ˈsantos kutʃumaˈtan]) is a municipality in the Guatemalan department of Huehuetenango. It is situated in the Sierra de los Cuchumatanes at an elevation of 2,500 m (about 8,000 ft). The municipality covers an area of approximately 269 km2 and is formed by the town of Todos Santos Cuchumatán, 6 villages, and 69 smaller rural communities, called caserios, parajes, and cantones. The village of San Martin Cuchumatán is the second largest urbanized centre in the municipality of Todos Santos. San Martin is also the agricultural heart of the Cuchumateca valley which produces crops like potatoes, broccoli and large scale cultivation of coffee on the lower mountain slopes of the municipality.
The population of Todos Santos is predominantly indigenous, of Mayan descent, most of whom still speak the Mayan language of Mam. The town is one of few places in Guatemala where indigenous men still wear their traditional clothing, along with the women.
An annual festival is celebrated on October 31-November 2, and is centered on All Saints' Day on November 1 ("Todos Santos" translates to "all saints" in English). Festivities include traditional dances, marimba music and the famous horse races. The horse races are often the scene of mayhem and bloodshed due to the riders' penchant to drink alcohol for days leading up to the races even though the mayor banned the selling of hard alcohol in May 2008.
- "XI Censo Nacional de Poblacion y VI de Habitación (Censo 2002)". INE. 2002.
- "Todos Santos Cuchumatán - Diagnóstico Socioeconómico, potencialidades productivas y propuestas de inversión" (PDF). Universidad de San Carlos, Facultad de Ciencias Sociales, EPS. 2004. Retrieved 2009-02-02.
- Pancorbo, Luis (1996). Fiestas del Mundo. Las Máscaras de la Luna. Barcelona: Ediciones del Serbal. pp. 51–59. ISBN 84-7628-168-4.
- "Moonshine turns Mayan horse race in Guatemala rowdy". Reuters. November 2, 2009.
- Pancorbo, Luis (1989) ""Fiesta en Todos Santos" en "Los viajes del girasol". pp. 141–149. Mondadori, Madrid. ISBN 84-397-1489-0
- Todos Santos Cuchumatan - photographic essay of the town and its people
- Videos of The "Skach Koyl" or the Todos Santos horse race
- More Videos of The "Skach Koyl" or the Todos Santos horse race
- Commentary and history of The "Skach Koyl" or the Todos Santos horse race
- Two Crosses of Todos Santos by Maud Oakes, at the Open Library
- Beyond the Windy Place by Maud Oakes, at the Open Library
- Todos Santos Cuchumantan: Report from a Guatemalan Village
- Todos Santos: The Survivors.