Tokwe Mukorsi Dam
|Tokwe Mukorsi Dam|
|Purpose||Water storage, flood control, irrigation, fisheries, power|
|Construction cost||US$200 million|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment, concrete-face rock-fill|
|Height||90.3 m (296 ft)|
|Width (crest)||8.5 m (28 ft)|
|Dam volume||1,915,000 m3 (67,600,000 cu ft)|
|Total capacity||1,750×106 m3 (1,420,000 acre⋅ft)|
|Catchment area||7,120 km2 (2,750 sq mi)|
|Surface area||96.4 km2 (37.2 sq mi)|
|Maximum water depth||82.7 m (271 ft)|
|Commission date||2015 est.|
|Installed capacity||12 MW (16,000 hp)|
The Tokwe Mukorsi Dam is a concrete-face rock-fill dam on the Tokwe River, just downstream of its confluence with the Mukorsi River, about 72 kilometres (45 mi) south of Masvingo in Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe. Construction on the dam began in June 1998 but stalled in 2008. Salini Impregilo began to finish the dam in 2011. Heavy flooding in February 2014 caused a partial failure on 4 February, on the downstream face of the dam. By late February the dam had not been fully breached but the unplanned rising reservoir behind the dam caused evacuations upstream. Both upstream and downstream, over 20,000 people were evacuated. Construction of the dam was suspended in June 2014 due to a lack of funding. The power station was expected to be commissioned by the end of 2015. It is 90.3 metres (296 ft) tall and creates a 1,750,000,000 m3 (1,420,000 acre⋅ft) reservoir, the largest the in country. The associated hydroelectric power station will have a 12 megawatts (16,000 hp) installed capacity.
In May 2016 the government released $35 million to Salini Impregilio to enable the Italian contractor resume construction work that stopped two years ago owing to payment problems. The Dam was eventually completed in December 2016 and commissioned in May 2017
- "Update:Flood water over Tokwe Mukorsi Dam" (PDF). ReliefWeb. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Water gushes over crumbling dam wall in Zimbabwe". Digital Journal. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Tokwe - Mukorsi Dam". Salini Impregilo. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Update: Tokwe Mukorsi dam in Zimbabwe". Digital Journal. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "In photos: The aftermath of Zimbabwe's Tokwe-Mukorsi dam disaster". Daily Maverick. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Tokwe-Mukorsi construction suspended". News Day. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Tokwe Mukosi dam complete". The Zimbabwean. 7 January 2015. Archived from the original on 19 January 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Zimbabwe: IDBZ to Issue U.S$65 Million Bonds for Power Projects". All Africa. The Herald. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Cheap design linked to problems at Tokwe-Mukosi". Nehanda Radio. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Tokwe-Mukosi Dam contractor resumes work